• Obama - Not US Citizen

23 38.33%
  • McCain - Not US Citizen

5 8.33%
  • Third Party / Independant - US Citizen

1 1.67%
  • Third Party / Independant - Not US Citizen

1 1.67%

Who would you vote for in the US elections?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Being a practical person, it's impossible for me to discount experience and proven history of accomplishments. Some Obama fans will go into a fit of rage as evident by an earlier post already, but I simply don't believe in voting for someone with no major achievements, no matter how charismatic he is.

It's the same weakness that GWB had when he first ran for president and MANY Democrats rightfully ridiculed him for it. 4 years as governor thanks to Daddy's friends makes a good president NOT.

Obama is clearly more intelligent and competent than GWB, but he's still far behind his competitors in this race. I would support him in an election in the future. Give him another 8 years of legislature experience and he should have it.

Out of the 3 remaining candidate, I'll have to go with McCain. He is more honorable than Hillary, has 100x more REAL experience than both Hillary and Obama. He makes his decisions based on his own beliefs, not party ideology. Temper or not, he's worked with politicians from both sides successfully.

McCain/Obama is a dream ticket. He could teach Obama a thing or two.

chowfun - sort of goes in line with this bit from Chris Matthews.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj4VK9wVAi0]YouTube - "Hardball" Way Too Hard for Obama Supporter Kirk Watson[/ame]

That's exactly what's wrong with supporting Obama right now. He certainly is doing a wonderful job inspiring and attracting many new voters: minorities, young white men and slowly everyone else. The problem is that many of the Obama supporters do not evaluate him critically like they do everyone else. He's getting a free pass on having no specific plans for Iraq (pulling out is not as easy as it sounds), medical coverage, economy, terrorism, etc.

I wish there was a way to remind every voter that the President of the United States is still the most powerful job on the face of this planet. No matter how much the Monica Lewinsky scandal and GWB's 8 years of disaster has made a mockery of the position, we need to put real leaders with experience in charge. JFK was even more charismatic than Obama, but he was not a very good president in hindsight.

Obama will be MORE capable in 8 years. Don't let him get the job prematurely and ruin one of our best hopes for the future. He has a lot of potential, but let's see some results before we annoint him the savior of America.

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:
    JFK was even more charismatic than Obama, but he was not a very good president in hindsight.
    JFK didn't exactly have all that much time to change things though. Given the political climate of the 60s and the programs that he helped to start, and the Cuban Missile Crisis, I'd say he did a pretty good job.

I would've voted for McCain in 2000, but not now. He's shown a capacity for pandering to the far, FAR, right, which scares me far more than any experience argument. Back in 2004, when the far right was solidly in control, McCain suddenly went completely and utterly overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad:
    JFK didn't exactly have all that much time to change things though. Given the political climate of the 60s and the programs that he helped to start, and the Cuban Missile Crisis, I'd say he did a pretty good job.

I would've voted for McCain in 2000, but not now. He's shown a capacity for pandering to the far, FAR, right, which scares me far more than any experience argument. Back in 2004, when the far right was solidly in control, McCain suddenly went completely and utterly overboard.
    I am in the JFK wasn't as good as he is portrayed camp. But enough 1960s politics....

If McCain went totally overboard, how come they still hate him? And are you then saying better far left than far right? I think every politician has to pander to the fringes in order to get the nomination and, after securing the nomination, they all race to the center. The issue is figuring out if anyone was actually a centrist to begin with.

Both parties pander to the extreme left and right during the nomination process. McCain is clearly not a right-winger. Let's not delude ourselves now...

From left to right:

Clinton - Obama - McCain - Huckabee

Obama and McCain are both on centrist platforms, which is what I believe is appealing to most Americans at this point. And I'm saying moderate left, is better than moderate right.

And the far right hates McCain because he's a turncoat to their cause. From 2004 - 2006, he jumped from being a moderate Republican with a decent platform, to a Bush lackey. After the 2006 Congressional elections, he switched back. What concerns me is not whether or not he's far right, I don't think he normally is, but he's sure willing to switch if the political climate is right.

From all indications, Hillary is losing her cool, and making Obama look good to voters. Forget McCain, as he is too old, and a clone of Bush.

If people around the world want the USA to change, then Obama should be elected.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCo:
    Forget McCain, as he is {...} a clone of Bush.
    Eh? Which planet are you on?

McCain has some brain cells for a start. And the ability to compromise. And the courage to fight for his beliefs (rather than run away as Bush Jr did).

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCo:
    Forget McCain, as he is too old, and a clone of Bush.
    I am sorry but what exactly to you base that statement upon???

Unlike many other candidates who are running for the role of Commander in Chief of the United States Amed Forces, McCain is actually the only one I know who sacrificed (POW) for his country or served in the military as a highly decorated officer (Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross , Bronze Star, etc). He is an articulate speaker and unlike other candidates, has a proven record of breaking away from his party lines and doing the "right" thing (McCain-Feinglod).
    Last edited by climber07; 25-02-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast