Like Tree4Likes

Work from Home..a bad idea?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There is no right or wrong answer to whether it is ok or not to work from home. It really depends on your job nature and the personality you have. Some job requiring frequent face-to-face interaction with colleagues and clients and those kind of jobs would be better off done at the office. Other jobs where the real work is done mostly individually or alone can be done at home. At the end of the day, like any job, it's the results that matter. If you can produce results which is the same (or better) regardless of whether you work from home or at the office, then I see no reason why you can't work from home.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I guess the pay structure would need to change to be based more on results than time. It would be pretty hard to monitor people that's for sure. Spare laptop with different IP address = do whatever you want!

I agree, I think it can work for results based workers...people with skin in the game so to speak. But for just your average worker with no bonuses, commisions or management responsibilities....I think more workers than not would slack off and be less productive.

That is not to same some wouldn't do fine with it, but overall I think most people need the structure and accountability that comes with an office.

Having worked from home previously, I will say it did cause resentment and jealousy from various individuals at the company I was working for. Even though my job role was vastly different, it's just a privilege people don't like seeing others have. I suppose in that sense in can damage moral of the team.

As said though, my role was based in social media, and having a free role, I would often be required to log on at various intervals throughout the night and peak hours, negating the average 9-5 routine in the UK. I would enjoy the freedom and relaxation of being at home, and if anything it made my work more productive and I was disciplined enough to perform well.