Like Tree19Likes

ANZAC Day 2013

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We can commemorate those who fought and died, and celebrate peace, eat BBQ and drink beer.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    Ah, so ANZAC day is like Veterans Day in the U.S. I remember celebrating ANZAC day as a child, but I don't think I knew why back then. We certainly weren't taught to hate Brits.

I honor all those who gave their lives so we can live in a better world. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to go out and kill people and have people wanting to kill you.

Happy ANZAC day!
    ANZAC Day is not a celebration, that's the whole point !!!!!!!!!!!! It is a day that we remember those that sacrificed their lives, a subdued day. A day for ( past ) living diggers to catch up with their war time mates at their RSL club, the only day of the year that they even mentioned what went on during the war and only ever expressed with those that fought alongside them. They emotionally drowned their sorrows/memories over a skin full of beers/whiskey of the horrible things that only a young mans eyes saw; graphic memories that as old men, they were constantly haunted by, during every nightly sleep.

PS: Bryant brought up the Brit hate thing, which is news to me also...I have never seen anybody actively go out of their way to have a go at the Brits, unless they mouthed off with disrespect, asking for trouble, then sure, they got drop kicked. ALL ethnic groups, but especially the Anglo Saxon British immigrants, know that it is a dumb idea to mouth off something provocative on ANZAC Day, as you really wont be well received....As I said earlier, a smart person would for that one day of the year, bite their tongue.....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 25-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Tung Chung mum likes this.

OK, sorry, but I do remember some big event in primary school in Melbourne when I was a kid. I should have used "observe" instead of "celebrate". My bad.

Don't read if you take offence at other people's opinions...

Don't read it if you don't want to.

Heathen Scripture

"Aussie boganeering." is my favourite quote from there...

Last edited by INXS; 25-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.

I'm a Brit and joined in with the service when in a small town in NZ. I'd honour anyone who lost their life for others to benefit.

I must say though Kiwis and Aussies remember more than most British.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using GeoClicks Mobile

MovingIn07 and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    ANZAC Day is not a celebration, that's the whole point !!!!!!!!!!!! It is a day that we remember those that sacrificed their lives, a subdued day. A day for ( past ) living diggers to catch up with their war time mates at their RSL club, the only day of the year that they even mentioned what went on during the war and only ever expressed with those that fought alongside them. They emotionally drowned their sorrows/memories over a skin full of beers/whiskey of the horrible things that only a young mans eyes saw; graphic memories that as old men, they were constantly haunted by, during every nightly sleep.

PS: Bryant brought up the Brit hate thing, which is news to me also...I have never seen anybody actively go out of their way to have a go at the Brits, unless they mouthed off with disrespect, asking for trouble, then sure, they got drop kicked. ALL ethnic groups, but especially the Anglo Saxon British immigrants, know that it is a dumb idea to mouth off something provocative on ANZAC Day, as you really wont be well received....As I said earlier, a smart person would for that one day of the year, bite their tongue.....
    Interesting. I didn't know about it. Why not rename it Churchill Day?

He screwed up Gallipoli - couldn't he read a relief map?
    He screwed up the promise made to the Poles to defend them if Hitler invaded - heck, he couldnt even protect his own country and the Poles, well they suffered under Communism for 50 years
    He refused to let Hitler have the Danzig Corridor (which was 90%+ ethnic German and avert war
    He made an alliance with Stalin who killed 20-30 million people by 1939, to beat Hitler (who had killed only a handful by 1939) - DOH!
    He screwed up Norway (by blabbering to the press about the invasion)
    He said that Europe would be safe under Stalin - DOH!
    Numerous other screwups including the way they lost everything vs Japan. And then they had the cheek to ask the Aussies and others for help in Europe! And then after that tried to 'advise' the Aussies that the best way to defend Australia was in Australia, not on New Guinuea/North of Australia as Macarthur rightly planned.
    Numerous other screwups.

Apparently Churchill also wore women's underwear.

It's a real wonder that we or the canadians or aussies or anyone actually came to the Brit's aid in WWI or WWII - they fought their civil wars with Germany and look what happened! Germany is a far cleaner and better place to live in today than England ever was in the 20th Century (it's still bankrupt).

Nuff said.
    Last edited by DudeAbides; 05-05-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:

What British generals did all those years ago has got absolutely nothing to do with me. It doesn't make me ashamed to be British. Does what happened to the aboriginals in Australia make you ashamed to be an Aussie?

I'm not a fan of anything that rouses nationalistic fervour....I think it's all quite odd to be honest.
    It was the English Crown that made the decision to settle lands or enter treaties with the native peoples - not the settlers themselves. If anything, the settlers got along with the aborigines - it was the govt of the day that did its thing with them. Same thing in colonial America re the Indians. People on the land generally have common sense and try to get along.

Also, "Brit"? Why do you always have to lump the Scotch and Welsh in with you guys? Are you that afraid of being English FGS? Oh I forgot, Andy Murray wins the tennis, hes a Brit, if he loses, hes a Scotchman. I get it now.

Has anyone read Alan Seymour's " One Day of the Year?" . I studied it for English class during one of my junior high school years. The former and above posts on this thread reminded me of it so well.

Last edited by Natfixit; 05-05-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Has anyone read Alan Seymour's " One Day of the Year?" . I studied it for English class during one of my junior high school years. The former and above posts on this thread reminded me of it so well.
    Haven't read it. But I guess you haven't read this interesting book. They wouldnt stock it in an English bookstore now would they.

Its no wonder they worship him in Limey Land, he actually is someone of great achievement - says a lot about the place really.