Like Tree298Likes

Soldier beheaded in Woolwich, UK. Sickening.

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Effectively then, if you or I don't identify with some of the reasons given for military combat, and especially if we feel sympathy for the victims, many of whom are civilians, then from our point of view, they may indeed be labelled acts of terrorism.
    I don't think Dr. Bruce Hoffman, whose words you have quoted, meant that this perjorative use of the word "terrorism" justified continuing to use it in that way.

Its really too bad that Islam is not compatable with modern civilization and development. Whuiel the worlds other religions accepted science and technology, Islam crippled scientific development and societies, especially in the Arab world, where they were the forefather of modern matrhematics before the founding of Islam. To think that only countries whose citizens are a majorty muslim and who have oil wealth have seen any remarkable economic development at all is a pity. The exception is Turkey, who is secular and whose leader decided a secular path would be the only route for economic development. There seems to be no answer at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Its really too bad that Islam is not compatable with modern civilization and development. Whuiel the worlds other religions accepted science and technology, Islam crippled scientific development and societies, especially in the Arab world, where they were the forefather of modern matrhematics before the founding of Islam. To think that only countries whose citizens are a majorty muslim and who have oil wealth have seen any remarkable economic development at all is a pity. The exception is Turkey, who is secular and whose leader decided a secular path would be the only route for economic development. There seems to be no answer at this point.
    ? Not visited Malaysia then. Plenty of societies manage with a moderate form of islam. Some of them happen to have zero natural resources and plenty of disasters (Bangladesh, for example). I still don't think that Islam is inherently the problem (any more so that religion in general, which can be a problem) since there are plenty of muslims in the UK, USA, Europe and other developed countries with no problem adapting to modern life, being scientists etc etc. The bible is just as bad - in the middle ages there was a HUGE amount of backward thinking applied due to the Church - probably set civilisation back hundreds of years! Look at some of the Christian extremist nutcases in the USA - creationism anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    ? Not visited Malaysia then. Plenty of societies manage with a moderate form of islam. Some of them happen to have zero natural resources and plenty of disasters (Bangladesh, for example).
    ? Not visited Malaysia then. Haven't you noticed that about 30% of the people living in Malaysia are Chinese? They are the ones who carry the economy. And then there are the Indians. They are the ones that do the manual labour. Haha (joke).

In spite of this, I agree that Malay are very friendly. Probably the friendliest Southeast Asians. Yes, they are liberal Muslims and a pleasure to be with.

As for the lack of natural resources and plenty of disasters as a reason for Muslim countries (e.g. Bangladesh) not to develop, what about Japan? One of the best economies in the world, with zero natural resources and plenty of disasters. How did they make it? Through science and technology and plenty of hard work.

Everybody who looks at it objectively has to admit that Islam is a problem, specially their refusal to modernise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    I don't think Dr. Bruce Hoffman, whose words you have quoted, meant that this perjorative use of the word "terrorism" justified continuing to use it in that way.
    I agree with you. My deliberately unjustified statement did illustrate his point though, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    In my opinion peace in northern Ireland happened because young people there don't give a shit about religious arguments and national borders.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Wrong

Thankfully, your opinion....etc.

Islam or 'elements' of Islam are at war with every culture they border. Why?

In Sub-Saharan Africa they fight with Christians
    In India and Bali they fight with Hindus
    In Israel they fight with Jews
    In the Caucasus region they fight with the Russians
    In Central Asia they fight with the Chinese
    The Balkans they fight with Christians
    In Thailand they fight with Buddhists
    And now some of them want to the fight the West

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Islam or 'elements' of Islam are at war with every culture they border. Why?

In Sub-Saharan Africa they fight with Christians
    In India and Bali they fight with Hindus
    In Israel they fight with Jews
    In the Caucasus region they fight with the Russians
    In Central Asia they fight with the Chinese
    The Balkans they fight with Christians
    In Thailand they fight with Buddhists
    And now some of them want to the fight the West
    No offence to you, Trebor, but that is an overly simplistic and, in a number of the cases you mentioned there, a completely mis-informed assertion.
    bak875 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    No offence to you, Trebor, but that is an overly simplistic and, in a number of the cases you mentioned there, a completely mis-informed assertion.
    I'm not saying any of those 'conflicts' aren't two sided or either side is more the aggressor than the other.

I'm also not saying that other religions live harmoniously side by side everywhere else in the world.

It's just an observation. There are plenty of other examples too.

Tajikstan, the recent bloodletting in Krygystan, the routing of Christians in East Timor or north burma, Ivory Coast, Mali, North Nigeria, the recent problems in Timbuktu (yes, even Timbuktu), Sudan, the Kurdistan attacks on Christians. That's without even touching the middle east or the horn of africa.....(ethiopia, somalia, eritrea - all of which have had recent islamic violence against other religions/groups).
    Last edited by Trebor; 27-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    packy_crusher likes this.

I don't know. I'm having trouble. I replaced the word "islam" for "judaism", place it in a historical context, and felt incredibly uncomfortable.

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast