Like Tree298Likes

Soldier beheaded in Woolwich, UK. Sickening.

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

But with the prescribed punishments? Honour killings are OK? The UK has a large police team dedicated to trying to deal with the whole "honour killing" / "carting women off to the third world to marry someone they've never met" business that goes on in these communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Agree, but they all differ in the way they live / practice their faith. As such it's very difficult to find a common term that groups them all together, regardless if it's Christians, Muslims etc. (unless you just go with e.g. "liberal Christian/Jew ...").
    Maybe it's not possible to have one term to describe them all, but at least with christianity you know there are extremists and liberals and you can name examples. You wouldn't assume that someone in westboro baptist church represents mainstream christians.

But with islam, most muslims seem to just call themselves 'muslim' (rather than catholic, anglican, c of e) and non-muslims have little to no understanding if what differences there are between muslim groups, so people assume that the beardy guy stoning a rape victim to death is representative of mainstream islam.

The liberals need to publicly seperate themselves from the extremists. The problem is they're worried about becoming targets themselves. Which is one of the reasons why it's such a stupid religion.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    But with islam, most muslims seem to just call themselves 'muslim' (rather than catholic, anglican, c of e) and non-muslims have little to no understanding if what differences there are between muslim groups, so people assume that the beardy guy stoning a rape victim to death is representative of mainstream islam.
    I think you're just displaying your ignorance here. There are just as many denominations of muslims as there are of christians (and they are just as murderous towards each other as the christian denominations were in quite recent history). The guys blowing policemen up in Northern Ireland are catholics, but plenty of people would claim they are not "mainstream" catholics (whatever that means).
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 28-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I think you're just displaying your ignorance here. There are just as many denominations of muslims as there are of christians (and they are just as murderous towards each other as the christian denominations were in quite recent history). The guys blowing policemen up in Northern Ireland are catholics, but plenty of people would claim they are not "mainstream" catholics (whatever that means).
    So you're saying all muslims are all as bad as each other? I disagree.

So you're saying all muslims are all as bad as each other? I disagree.
    No he said there were different muslim denomination. Something you apparently didnt know.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    But with the prescribed punishments? Honour killings are OK? The UK has a large police team dedicated to trying to deal with the whole "honour killing" / "carting women off to the third world to marry someone they've never met" business that goes on in these communities.
    I'd be interested to see any credible sources suggesting that the implementation of sharia law as an enforceable judicial system in the UK is for the purpose of permitting honour killings.

That may not be its purpose, but sharia law if fully implemented explicitly requires them.

I'll take your word that honour killings are explicitly required in countries practising Sharia law. I don't know enough about such legal systems. That doesn't sound at all correct to me though.

I don't believe that any sane-minded Muslim will expect Sharia Law to be given the full force of the law in countries like the UK. It is by its very nature incompatible with the UK judicial system so for extremists (be it nugget headed Muslims or nugget headed Atheists/Christians) to suggest so is ludicrous. It will never happen.

Maybe it's not possible to have one term to describe them all, but at least with christianity you know there are extremists and liberals and you can name examples. You wouldn't assume that someone in westboro baptist church represents mainstream christians.

The liberals need to publicly seperate themselves from the extremists. The problem is they're worried about becoming targets themselves. Which is one of the reasons why it's such a stupid religion.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have a detailed knowledge of the various branches of Islam and are as ignorant about Christanity as you are about Islam.

Anyway, how many atrocities have been committed in the name of obscure Christian sects compared to the mainstream ones like the Roman Catholic Church?

For what it's worth, 96% of British Muslims are Sunni and the rest mainly Shia. You can educate yourself on the differences but it won't make much of a difference. Within both of these there is likely to be a spectrum of extremity just as one might expect.

It would be nice if all the bad ones had a label we could use but in reality it doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by arrowsmith; 28-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Sorry Gruntfuttock. Having conducted a cursory google search, it appears that your statement:

sharia law if fully implemented explicitly requires [honour killings]
    is factually incorrect. It appears to be actually the opposite of what the reality is.

Please can you source your assertion? I'm surprised that there is such a difference between what you stated and what my friend Mr Google stated.

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast