Like Tree298Likes

Soldier beheaded in Woolwich, UK. Sickening.

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

Methosb you seem to be saying religious = fundamentalist. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Funny how I ridicule Christianity and Islam in the same post yet you take offence at the Muslim part only.
    My mistake. I assumed that "If they're Muslims, well, let's just say keep an eye on the knife drawer and the fertilizer..." is somehow more offensive to muslims than "if they're Christians my understanding is that they should either have nothing to do with you or try as hard as possible to convert you" is to Christians. Sometimes my comprehension isn't very good you see.

You're either a Muslim proving a point about Muslims or your a typical lefty hand-wringer who thinks Islam has a special right not to be ridiculed....which is it?
    I'm fascinated by your character dissection. Must I really be a Muslim or a "typical lefty hand-wringer" to take offence at your input in this conversation?

I shouldn't really allow myself to be goaded though. Some intelligent conversation is being made in this thread. Unfortunately none of it comes from you.
    usehername likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    I don't consider someone that calls themselves a Christian but doesn't follow the dogma or the texts because they recognised the stupidity of doing so
    Please can you clarify what you mean here? Did you miss some words out?

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Methosb you seem to be saying religious = fundamentalist. Really?
    Technically following a religious text as if it is truth would be fundamentalist by the definition of the word but not necessarily in the way that we think of fundamentalists as militant.
    Last edited by methosb; 31-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Fair enough but I think you would find that people coming from religion that are intelligent are more likely to be spiritual rather than religious (following the dogma or believing in miracles and magic underpants). I don't consider someone that calls themselves a Christian but doesn't follow the dogma or the texts because they recognised the stupidity of doing so. They maybe spiritual but they aren't religious. The religious are the ones making problems.
    What is "spiritual"?
    justjoe86 and INXS like this.

Spiritual is believing that there is a higher power of some sort.

Taking good moral ideas from a religious text is not religious.

If someone doesn't follow the dogma or texts of a religion how can they call themselves religious? A religion is a defined set of rules and beliefs. If you don't follow the rules or believe that the stories in the religious texts are true then you are not religious.

Accurate answer... "spiritual" has about a million contradicting definitions.

Claire ex-ax likes this.

I shouldn't really allow myself to be goaded though. Some intelligent conversation is being made in this thread. Unfortunately none of it comes from you.
    The problem you have is that you're coming from a position where you believe that religion holds some privileged position; the right not to be offended.

For me, anyone who believes that their prophet went to heaven on a flying unicorn or Noah's Ark in the face of science is demanding to be ridiculed.

Right now, religious people, moderate religious people are indoctrinating children into this world of terror, hate, misogyny and fantasy. You feel it's not my right to criticise these people or poke fun....?
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

The problem you have is that you're coming from a position where you believe that religion holds some privileged position; the right not to be offended.

For me, anyone who believes that their prophet went to heaven on a flying unicorn or Noah's Ark in the face of science is demanding to be ridiculed.

Right now, religious people, moderate religious people are indoctrinating children into this world of terror, hate, misogyny and fantasy. You feel it's not my right to criticise these people or poke fun....?
    INXS likes this.

Please substantiate this claim. Would you be so kind to refer me to the post where I suggested that religion cannot be offended? Go on. I double dog dare you.

Please also answer the following. Do you consider think

"If they're Muslims, well, let's just say keep an eye on the knife drawer and the fertilizer..."

is proportionately offensive as

"if they're Christians my understanding is that they should either have nothing to do with you or try as hard as possible to convert you"?

I have to bear in mind that two years ago, a fully grown adult man used to follow religion because his grannie told him to (and now that he has 'seen' the light, he's an 'expert' having 'read some books') so I forgive you for not understanding.

I've no problem with criticism of a religion's ideals. However, you're marking muslims as a whole as knife murderers and bombers. That's something quite different. Some might call that racist.

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast