Like Tree298Likes

Soldier beheaded in Woolwich, UK. Sickening.

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

To help you along:

The Sharia doesn't condone 'honour killings' and in a way, this is a confusing title.

The Sharia does condone the killing of anyone who disrespects Prophet Mohammed or Islam. Sharia law advocates the killing of anyone who oppresses Islam. Guess what? Unfaithful wives, promiscuous daughters....they disrespect The Prophet and Islam....lots of young girls, especially those growing up in western countries even oppress Islam by their behaviour.

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM!

Iliketurtles raises an interesting point. The bible and the koran are equally 'bad' in their attitudes to, e.g. women, murder etc. but the majority of christians have been ignoring the more extreme, violent or distasteful parts for a long time now. However there are still many muslims who will follow the koran unquestioningly. why is this?

I can understand it is useful for governments to have a deeply religious population as it's much easier to control, and to an extent, its quite good to be a man in an islamic country. But the same could have been said for the west 300-400 years ago. So why did christianity mellow out whilst islam remained the same. Any thoughts?

Last edited by usehername; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Oh, okay. I now understand your position. Your concern is about the mode and manner in which the religion of Islam is carried out, rather than any single fundamental charateristic of Islam as against other religions. I agree with this.
    It seems to me that intolerance is a fundamental characteristic of many who practise Islam. I can be tolerant of pretty much anything except intolerance. Other religions have been through this phase, but Islam is basically 1000 years behind the rest.
    It seems like you stop your enquiries at this point though. I keep asking myself "why is the middle east in such a source of conflict and why has there been a prevalence of religious extremism in the area (which to my mind, includes Judaism)?" Do you have any suggestions?
    Because that's where the focal points of all the Abrahamic religions lie, and Islam is still largely in the Dark Ages and threatening pretty much everyone else.

Also, please can you answer my previous question? On what basis do you say that sharia law if fully implemented, explicitly requires honour killings? My understanding is the complete opposite so I think it was just an uninformed, flippant, comment. Be grateful for you to confirm though.
    You could start here: http://pointdebasculecanada.ca/artic...challenge.html The text quoted is, as I understand it, from the primary authority on Sharia Law.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Iliketurtles raises an interesting point. The bible and the koran are equally 'bad' in their attitudes to, e.g. women, murder etc. but the majority of christians have been ignoring the more extreme, violent or distasteful parts for a long time now. However there are still many muslims who will follow the koran unquestioningly. why is this?

I can understand it is useful for governments to have a deeply religious population as it's much easier to control, and to an extent, its quite good to be a man in an islamic country. But the same could have been said for the west 300-400 years ago. So why did christianity mellow out whilst islam remained the same. Any thoughts?
    Because it's 600 years more mature, roughly.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 01-06-2013 at 11:58 PM.

When are you starting islam from?

OK - 600 years, being the difference, roughly, between the time of Jesus and the time of Mohammed.

Ok, and that would make sense if they had developed in complete isolation from each other - we could assume in the next couple of hundred years islam will start to become more liberal. But I would have thought a lot of the changes in christianity were to do with better understanding of the world - especially through science, which the arab world would have also experienced. So from that perspective they should both be becoming more liberal.

But this is where religion becomes all about control of the masses... The educated "Muslims" are just like educated people anywhere else, but that doesn't stop them using the religion to keep the masses in a state of ignorance.

A flight from London to the Middle East in business or first is a very instructive experience - you see large numbers of rich, educated "Muslims" change completely during such a flight. When they get on the plane they're just like anyone else in London - wearing jeans, makeup & loose hair (for the women), champagne in the lounge, full English breakfast (or whatever). By the time they get to Cairo or Riyadh or Dubai they've changed - modest drees, headscarves (at least), women walking behind the men, and so on.

As the BA steward apocryphally said (to much laughter) “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Riyadh. For the correct local time, please set your watch back 300 years.”

They know what they're doing - it's all about power and control.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 02-06-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    INXS, ouwen and closedcasket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Ok, and that would make sense if they had developed in complete isolation from each other - we could assume in the next couple of hundred years islam will start to become more liberal. But I would have thought a lot of the changes in christianity were to do with better understanding of the world - especially through science, which the arab world would have also experienced. So from that perspective they should both be becoming more liberal.
    It's certainly interesting. maybe it has something to do with the fact that a lot of the major scientific breakthroughs have happened in Christian countries. gelileo, newton, Darwin, Einstein. Christianity has been gradually eroded over hundreds of years. and alongside that you have the growth of democracy, secularism etc. the cultural landscape within which Christianity has operated has typically been different from islam.
    ouwen likes this.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/37...islamic-future

The short version is that within the next 20 years Islam will replace Christianity as the dominate religion in the UK.

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast