Like Tree24Likes

French get themselves in a knot over headscarves

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I agree with Claire here, if we all religious nutters learn to keep religion at home, the world would be much more tolerable to all of us.

cheepo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I agree with Claire here, if we all religious nutters learn to keep religion at home, the world would be much more tolerable to all of us.
    Speak for yourself.

CC elaborate please, your cryptic comment is... well cryptic.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Not referring to this specifically, but I approve of the French's stand in support of secularism. "Religious freedom" must no longer mean "religious privilege", no matter how the religious complain that removing their privilege equals oppression.
    Yes - so do I. Which is why this particular debate is interesting. it seems to be a case of "when does a desire to be secular go so far that it becomes a tool for discrimination"?

I liked userhername's comment about disliking it as much as a prohibition on NOT wearing headscarves (common in some countries, as well as our Western ones not THAT long ago).

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    CC elaborate please, your cryptic comment is... well cryptic.
    I don't think people should be required to "keep their religion at home". Like any other group or organization they should have the right to practice or express themself in public.... as long as they don't infringe on others of course.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 23-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Lootoo likes this.

Public == sure, why not
    School == no thanx. Keep religion out of the schools.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I don't think people should be required to "keep their religion at home". Like any other group or organization they should have the right to practice or express themself in public.... as long as they don't infringe on others of course.
    But few know that such a line should be drawn, let alone where it should be drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Public == sure, why not
    School == no thanx. Keep religion out of the schools.
    Where is the border? Is a headscarfed mother in the wrong for picking her child up from school? For entering the school to go to a PTA meeting or a discussion about her child? If they volunteer to help out fundraising or at the school fete? Or on a school trip?

I agree - for standard "school" functions - teachers etc, in classrooms, in lessons - no religion. But the above - there is a line somewhere but is it really as black and white as some of you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    But few know that such a line should be drawn, let alone where it should be drawn.
    Few? I have hundreds of friends and family who practice different religions and they go to church on Sundays and keep religion to themselves
    Last edited by closedcasket; 23-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    May be you misunderstood, when I said keep religion at home, I meant practice it at home, surely go to temple/mosque/church, but don't pull it out at any given opportunity.
    I am religious but I try to keep my belieft to myself, unless someone asks about it in a discussion I do tell, but I don't go on displaying it.