Can Obama beat McCain?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

I hadn't heard Obama's 'let's ban everything from china' quip but if that's the case he's a massive idiot and it strengthens my claim that he's just running on hyperbole and hype rather than logic and reason and of course, the sticking point in this thread, experience.

I went to Shanghai for the weekend, first trip to Mainland China if you don't count Macau and Shenzhen and have to admit that I had been one of the people fooled by the anti china rhetoric and propoganda that the West and in particular, the US spew incessantly. What a fantastic place. What welcoming people. If anyone thinks they can stop the Chinese march towards world domination they have clearly not been to China. Will China even need the US in 20 years time? They have enough consumers of their own and the foresight of the government blows me away. In any case, American consumers are addicted to cheap products, they can't say no to China even if Obama is telling them to. It's like me saying I'll give up coffee because Dr Oz tells me to Not going to happen.

I got back from Shanghai and signed up straight away for Mandarin lessons. Not that I think we'll need Mandarin to get ahead in this world, the Chinese are busy learning English, but because I'd really love to live in Shanghai at some point. I imagine that the China of today is like the US of the 30's. It seems a world of opportunity despite a few obvious problems of censorship in the media etc.

And then of course, we have the most recent Obama hypocrisy with his 'layoff my wife' whinge. Surely it's not rocket science, if you don't want your wife to become fair game don't get her to preach for you.

Speaking of preachers...

McCain might be the one Republican who can win this year. But there is an awfully large anti-GOP backlash. He is going to need a lot of split tickets.
    But, even if he wins, he is going to face a large Dem majority in Congress.

Maybe Obama's ban everything comment was like his anti-NAFTA comment. Say one thing to the voters, another to the people you are criticising and hope nobody finds out or expects you to deliver on your words.

Sleuth are u McCain supporter? do you think the current administration has done a good job?

I know that last question wasn't directed at me but what the hell, i love being shot down. It's not really a question of has the current administration done a good job but has it been able to clean up the mess left behind by the previous one/s. I don't think anyone can say that 9/11(arguably the biggest thing that has happened to the US during this admininstrations tenure) is a result of anything that Bush or his admin themselves did but most things they have done since have been in reaction to it.

As an Aussie I'm neither pro republican nor pro democrat and it might be wrong but i tend to vote the person not the party. My vote goes to McCain . Might been i get a few less invites to christmas parties this year but so be it.

does that mean that u know macain is a bad/unpopular choice (hence the less invites to parties) but u would vote for him anyway?

I don't believe he is an unpopular choice but he is unpopular amongst the Americans I know who seem to wear Obama coloured glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    McCain is being smart now that he is the presumptive candidate.

Obama on the other hand is making himself IMHO, a dick, by trying to punch ABOVE his political weight especially his comments like " lets ban everything from China ".
    Er, that quote dates from last December, and you've just altered it a tad - only a tad - because what he said was he would ban all imports of Chinese toys, and that only until tighter inspection procedures had been set up.

Obama to ban Chinese toys | The Australian

Never mind, don't let any scruples for accuracy get in the way of a snappy sound bite.

More recently - in fact the day before yesterday - wasn't it McCain (the smart one) who pitched into the anti-China rant?

Obama, McCain Lambast China Now, Might Court It as President - Democratic Underground

Of course McCain has pitched the same idea, everyone has bought into the 'China is bad', 'Chinese products are unsafe' propoganda. He can't afford to lose votes to people who can't see far enough in front of themselves to realise that just about everything they consume is from China and they're still standing. I'd bet you anything though that when he wins it doesn't happen...

[QUOTE=araucaria;215619]Er, that quote dates from last December'.

That's only 4 months ago, I would have thought it fair game to hold these guys accountable for their words for at least.. i don't know.. 6 months or so...

Now I know how Hillary has made it so far. It doesn't matter what you said yesterday so far as you land a nice back flip today.

'I don't think anyone can say that 9/11(arguably the biggest thing that has happened to the US during this admininstrations tenure) is a result of anything that Bush or his admin themselves did but most things they have done since have been in reaction to it.'

wasnt it bushes decision alone to go to war in iraq not anything the previous administration did. He sold it to the Americans that saddam was behind 9/11 , in fact he had nothing to do with it and sadam was actually suspicious of bin laden as he saw him as a threat to his power base. Its funny how the facts get ignored. As for bushes reversal of legislation to protect the envorment thats a whole other story....
    If you vote for Mc Cain its more of the same, Obama is offering people a alternative to this, thats why his message of change is popular.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast