Like Tree56Likes

Oh no, he didn't just say that.....

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Original Post Deleted
    That's life! People that have wealth wants to spend it in these places. It's not just tourists but locals. Try and buy your princess something from Hermes, Chanel, Prada or Bag Kee from down the local mall in Kwai Chung and see what happens!

Original Post Deleted
    Hordes don't attack my neck of the woods and that's exactly why I live here. I don't want to have anymore debated about it either...you like Kowloon, I like N.T.s, different strokes and all that.

Still, let's see what happens when Tuen Mun becomes one of the first major towns they hit after driving over from Zhuhai...

Original Post Deleted
    Can any locals give their perspective please?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Still, let's see what happens when Tuen Mun becomes one of the first major towns they hit after driving over from Zhuhai...

Or don't you mean when the Tuen Mun - Chep Lap Kok link is complete and then HKIA is much nearer 20 million people of Shenzhen & Dongguan. That tunnel should have a bigger impact on HKIA than the mega bridge
    Last edited by East_coast; 18-09-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Or don't you mean when the Tuen Mun - Chep Lap Kok link is complete and then HKIA is much nearer Shenzhen & Dongguan. That tunnel should have a bigger impact on HKIA than the mega bridge
    Yes....things will change...

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Can any locals give their perspective please?
    When 7-11's get replaced by 'luxury' watch shops it is probably a sign that society is out of kilter.
    Gatts and TheBrit like this.

This whole mainland tourism, lax immigration regulations and radical new town planning is all but political kowtowing and appeasing of local tycoons. HK didn't need the massive mainland influx and didn't have it before 2003. It's like with drug addicts. Nobody needs the drug, but once you've been made dependent from it, you're in deep sh*t. Hong Kong needs to stop taking the drug before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    This whole mainland tourism, lax immigration regulations and radical new town planning is all but political kowtowing and appeasing of local tycoons. HK didn't need the massive mainland influx and didn't have it before 2003. It's like with drug addicts. Nobody needs the drug, but once you've been made dependent from it, you're in deep sh*t. Hong Kong needs to stop taking the drug before it's too late.
    But this goes back to the perennial problem, if not mainland tourists, what can Hong Kong rely on for economic growth? This is the real issue here.

I mean, real estate and finance are the only other two "pillars" of HK economy. The freight transportation and logistics industry, once so powerful in HK, is going downhill due to increasing competition from Mainland. Likewise, manufacturing industries has long ago moved to the mainland due to cost reasons. And high-tech manufacturing is a non-starter due to the lack of innovation and investment in the technology field (science park notwithstanding, HK's R&D pales in comparison to our neighbours such as Japan, South Korea and Taiwan).
    Last edited by Watercooler; 18-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    HKITperson likes this.

how are people going to make money when they don't come over anymore? hk needs to diversify its industries. couldn't even find a job here with my old career path even though it's a multi-billion business worldwide... might as well get them while you can and hope to change eventually instead of relying on tourism and finance...

HKITperson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    This tourism is not really sustainable, it'll hardly last few years, once the mainland borders get loosened up, they'd hardly bother with HK. I mean nothing wrong with HK as such, but it's not a city I'd keep going to for relaxation, art/culture, or shopping (in few years' time).
    That's why, even if currently tourism is bringing great wad of cash, Hk needs to focus on some of the key areas, such as shipping.
    HK is no longer competitive in Merchant Shipping as it once was and I dont think there is any prospect of it becoming one. Shanghai is the busiest container port in the world and Singapore is more of a Shipping hub which includes companies involved in Tankers and Bulk Carriers
    HKITperson likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7