Like Tree22Likes

Aren't buddhists banned from eating meat?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    can they eat their wives?

Yes, but raw only. No cooking allowed, but some mild pickling with alcohol is permitted.

What happened to the OP? Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by ouwen:
    Be careful in your choice of meats. There is a booming demand for Australian grass fed beef imports in the US. Same for domestic grass fed open range beef. There is a reason for this demand and everyone should take notice.
    Things aren't always better in Australia from a humane slaughter point of view, but most of our beef here in HK is Australian and grass fed. I swear I can taste the grass in the fat in Australian beef!

That cheeseburger tho.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Things aren't always better in Australia from a humane slaughter point of view, but most of our beef here in HK is Australian and grass fed. I swear I can taste the grass in the fat in Australian beef!
    "If slaughter houses had glass walls, the whole world would be vegetarian" - Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by garycyk:
    The monk in Japan can marry

I am sure the Chinese government can be blamed for that atrocity.
    HKITperson and Fiona in HKG like this.

I turned vegetarian nearly 12 years ago and even back then I was eating chicken/fish once or twice a month.
    I haven't regretted it since and I prefer it somehow.
    The only thing I don't like is all my friends (as well as some ppl I have just met) mock my choice, and constantly telling what I am missing out on, how yummy bacon is or how tasty steak is, I don't find it funny at all. Initially I was polite and would just laugh it off, but now I can't be bothered, if someone tries to tell me what I am missing out on I tell them to shut up and mind their own business.
    I have also developed a new theory and I know it's not going to be appreciated but here it is for my veggie friends..
    "I understand that our ancestors hunted for food when they lived in caves and were uncivilised. But then civilisation happened, and humans learned agriculture, discovered, fruits, veggies, wheat, rice etc. Now that we are civilised we needn't hunt or kill animals to feed ourselves."

jayinhongkong and INXS like this.

Compassion for sentient beings seems to be the main motivator for many vegans.
    I turned vegan a few years ago because I agree with the food pyramid that exists in yoga. Meat is only second hand or third hand nutrition ( carnivore eats carnivore= third hand)
    And that means it is inferior nutrition even if it has not been tainted with tons of salt, ammonion you name it by big BIZ.

I have also read a recent NYT article about certain kind of bacteria that humans have in their digestive system which help them digest meat and the negative side effects these bacteria develop. If you turn vegan these bacteria disappear.

So, yes, there is some compassion but more "problem awareness" for me not eating meat.

And I used to eat lots of meat, then I just gradually scaled down and now I dont miss it at all.
    I sometimes eat seafood, perhaps once every other month and on very rare occasions some meat.
    Perhaps every 6-12 months
    For example on home trips to indulge in local specialties.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I turned vegetarian nearly 12 years ago and even back then I was eating chicken/fish once or twice a month.
    I haven't regretted it since and I prefer it somehow.
    The only thing I don't like is all my friends (as well as some ppl I have just met) mock my choice, and constantly telling what I am missing out on, how yummy bacon is or how tasty steak is, I don't find it funny at all. Initially I was polite and would just laugh it off, but now I can't be bothered, if someone tries to tell me what I am missing out on I tell them to shut up and mind their own business.
    I have also developed a new theory and I know it's not going to be appreciated but here it is for my veggie friends..
    "I understand that our ancestors hunted for food when they lived in caves and were uncivilised. But then civilisation happened, and humans learned agriculture, discovered, fruits, veggies, wheat, rice etc. Now that we are civilised we needn't hunt or kill animals to feed ourselves."

More likely that the wild nuts, fruits, veggies, wheat, rice, and even tree bark came first, and that man learned to kill much later on, when he invented tools and then weapons. Our health tolerance for chicken/turkey over red meat suggests that we were eating birds a very long time before we could kill ruminants for red meat. As for bacon and red meat taste, take away the salt, pepper, egg batter breading, A1 and barbecue sauce and there's not much taste left. It is possible to put those sauces on vegetables. I often put shrimp cocktail sauce on mine.

At my son's wedding last Saturday, I got one of the very best rewards of vegetarianism. The bride's sister said "Oh my god, you are his father? If he looks as good as you when he is seventy, Sarah will be a very happy woman".

I gave up trying to get my senior discount in some local restaurants.
    gunsnroses and Fiona in HKG like this.

And I have lost about 10kg, never thought I could be so skinny as I considered myself normal when compared to others abroad. My pump also feels better.