Anyone Know what the Dalai Lama wants?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by xxxlionxxx:
    I know how Dalai Lama is "found" but the question is, why the general media is so obsessed with him? In the reigns of the previous Dalai Lama, 95% of the Tibetans were slaves......

I'm not pro or against him. It just draws my attention to it when something or someone is almost universally complimented. I'm sure the "against groups" are Chinese and they're pretty much blinded by the spasm of their "nationalism". But it doesn't validate all the praises automatically. Sharon Stone is a funny example.
    It really depends on how you define slave. Use that term carefully when talking about a people who are deeply devoted. You could say All catholics are slaves to the pope.

I think you have trouble picturing someone who is honestly selfless, as it is a trait SO rarely see. The Dalai Lama has seen his people stepped on, by the PRC for many years, he is trying to raise awareness of the struggles.

I don't follow the religion, incase you were wondering. I studied it and the major religons for a couple years. I have to say that the Dalai Lama is the only leader who speaks peace and love, to all corners of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattny81:
    I have to say that the Dalai Lama is the only leader who speaks peace and love, to all corners of the world.
    I think you missed the word "religious" out of that sentence. There are plenty of people who don't suffer from any religious delusion and are very happy to speak of peace and tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    he doesn't want to break away from china, he wants separate autonomy.
    what does that piratically mean tho? Control within the tibeten border or control where there are tibetan people? Tibetans are nomads and where they live covers a vast area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattny81:
    The current Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of the previous Dalai Lama. He was born two years after his last incarnation ended. Senior Tibetan monks recieve information during meditation which helps them track down the new Dalai Lama. They have a secret set of criteria which they use to determine whether the child they have tracked down is the Dalai Lama. Although, Familiarity with the possessions of the previous Dalai Lama is considered the main sign of the reincarnation. The search for the reincarnation typically requires a few years.
    Well he better not be thinking of reincarnating again unless he gets a written and stamped approval from Beijing. However, knowing how painful and bureaucratic the current process is simply for obtaining an entry visa, I would say he should probably apply now....it may be a long wait

China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate - Times Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2