Like Tree41Likes

Hammerheads Dead

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Indeed, and now another 24 fins to add to that 1.5 million. (4 per shark)

Koen likes this.

ouwen

This is an emotional subject for me. I grew up in nature learning the Native American ways, and giving thanks to the animals I killed to put meat on the family table. My reverence for nature is part of my reason for becoming vegetarian, and for being a sailor versus a power boater.

One of the US Navy planes that I flew in crashed in the Pacific. The life rafts failed to deploy and 26 men were in the water, most of them young boys just fulfilling their mandatory military service. Sharks feasted on them. I flew with some of the survivors and heard the stories first hand. Does a species deserve protection when it is a predator on humans? Sharks and crocodiles are dinosaurs, and no one laments the passing of the dinosaurs.

As a sailor, the terror of being eaten alive, or seeing someone else being eaten alive often crosses my mind, as does the wish that big sharks would just go away. We had a child attacked by a shark on Galveston beach just last month. Luckily, it was a small shark. Big sharks don't like our shallow waters. But when I sail the Pacific and live in HK?

Last edited by ouwen; 04-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ouwen:
    This is an emotional subject for me. I grew up in nature learning the Native American ways, and giving thanks to the animals I killed to put meat on the family table. My reverence for nature is part of my reason for becoming vegetarian, and for being a sailor versus a power boater.

One of the US Navy planes that I flew in crashed in the Pacific. The life rafts failed to deploy and 26 men were in the water, most of them young boys just fulfilling their mandatory military service. Sharks feasted on them. I flew with some of the survivors and heard the stories first hand. Does a species deserve protection when it is a predator on humans? Sharks and crocodiles are dinosaurs, and no one laments the passing of the dinosaurs.

As a sailor, the terror of being eaten alive, or seeing someone else being eaten alive often crosses my mind, as does the wish that big sharks would just go away. We had a child attacked by a shark on Galveston beach just last month. Luckily, it was a small shark. Big sharks don't like our shallow waters. But when I sail the Pacific and live in HK?
    What on earth are you on about? "my reverence for nature..." followed by "does a species deserve protection...". Does your strict vegetarian diet include some magic mushrooms?
    kimwy66, elle and tantrum like this.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    What on earth are you on about? "my reverence for nature..." followed by "does a species deserve protection...". Does your strict vegetarian diet include some magic mushrooms?
    Are you not aware of the movement to protect sharks?

What is your opinion? Protect sharks that are near extinction, or protect humans from rare but horrific shark attacks.

From your comment, I assume that you favour the sharks, since you share a mental level with them.

and giving thanks to the animals I killed to put meat on the family table.

They appreciate that...
    kimwy66 and usehername like this.

Are you not aware of the movement to protect sharks?

What is your opinion? Protect sharks that are near extinction, or protect humans from rare but horrific shark attacks.

From your comment, I assume that you favour the sharks, since you share a mental level with them.
    Sharks aren't a predator to humans though.....
    elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Sharks aren't a predator to humans though.....
    Exactly, humans kill about 150-200 million sharks a year.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    They appreciate that...
    Native American tradition. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Exactly, humans kill about 150-200 million sharks a year.

Incredible, and they aren't extinct yet? I have never eaten shark fin, or even had it offered to me. Never saw it on a menu in the US. Can't read the menu in HK.........

Who is eating that many sharks?

Who is eating that many sharks?
    No one, they are just tossed back into the ocean (alive) once their fins are cut off.
    Last edited by emx; 04-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast