Like Tree16Likes

Smog causes lung cancer in Beijing

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

interestingly, a big chunk of the funds to fight air pollution comes from ever increasing tobacco tax revenue. The mother of all zero sum games ?

ouwen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    interestingly, a big chunk of the funds to fight air pollution comes from ever increasing tobacco tax revenue. The mother of all zero sum games ?
    Of course, tobbacco companies in China are wholly state-owned, delivering enormous profit to the government.

The figures are overwhelming. China manufactures 2.3 trillion cigarettes per year, inhaling most of them itself. About 57 percent of men smoke.

Last year, China National Tobacco, the state-owned tobacco company, generated $76 billion in taxes and profit, a year-on-year rise of $8.2 billion, according to a spokesman, Zhang Xiulian. Of that, $61 billion was taxes. The profit figure — $14.3 billion — far outstrips even Philip Morris International, the world’s largest transnational tobacco company, which posted net earnings of $6.3 billion last year.

The state tobacco company is part of the State Tobacco Monopoly Administration, in turn part of the Ministry of Industry and information.

You want to talk corruption and collusion? It's unbelievable.
    ouwen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Of course, tobbacco companies in China are wholly state-owned, delivering enormous profit to the government.

The figures are overwhelming. China manufactures 2.3 trillion cigarettes per year, inhaling most of them itself. About 57 percent of men smoke.

Last year, China National Tobacco, the state-owned tobacco company, generated $76 billion in taxes and profit, a year-on-year rise of $8.2 billion, according to a spokesman, Zhang Xiulian. Of that, $61 billion was taxes. The profit figure — $14.3 billion — far outstrips even Philip Morris International, the world’s largest transnational tobacco company, which posted net earnings of $6.3 billion last year.

The state tobacco company is part of the State Tobacco Monopoly Administration, in turn part of the Ministry of Industry and information.

You want to talk corruption and collusion? It's unbelievable.
    Not surprising considering they even have schools sponsored by tobacco companies..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...cco-firms.html
    ouwen likes this.

Well, it's a monopoly, so the profit comparison with PM must be seen from this perspective.
    Foreign companieswill take over some day, just as it happened in Russia.
    Until then China keeps millions nicotin dependent
    as a pack is super cheap.

In addition, the air pollution and its mentioning in the media on par with smoking lessens the urge to quit smoking.

Last edited by Morrison; 10-11-2013 at 08:13 PM.

ouwen
    Well, it's a monopoly, so the profit comparison with PM must be seen from this perspective.
    Foreign companieswill take over some day, just as it happened in Russia.
    Until then China keeps millions nicotin dependent
    as a pack is super cheap.

In addition, the air pollution and its mentioning in the media on par with smoking lessens the urge to quit smoking.

They promote cigarettes while failing to promote electric cars, and campaign to protect the environment, which one would assume is supposed to protect public health. Why are big central governments so brainless?

As I waited in hospital for a family member to die, nurses consoled me that I had done all that could be done. they told me of people with tracheotomies that hold cigarettes up to the hole in their throat. Promoting nicotine addiction is criminal.

Well, I have suggested to a relative to quit smoking.
    Ever since I don't need to visit anymore and receive no more phone calls because "it's so difficult to get through'.

So I guess you surely have done all you could do...

I was addicted to life in Beijing but left the city for good to escape the pollution.

ouwen
    Well, I have suggested to a relative to quit smoking.
    Ever since I don't need to visit anymore and receive no more phone calls because "it's so difficult to get through'.

So I guess you surely have done all you could do...

I was addicted to life in Beijing but left the city for good to escape the pollution.

My wife grew up in Beijing and loves it as well. Very sad that you must choose between good health and the freedom to live where you enjoy life.

ouwen

China is investing dramatically in US energy companies that use "Fracking" technology. It is believed that they want to replace air polluting coal fired electicity plants with gas fired plants. The new breed of environmentalists are so alarmed by the massive new discoveries of natural gas by fracking that they are now advocating nuclear power.

Natural gas will clear up the air (PM2.5 & 10), but will increase Carbon dioxide levels dramatically. Carbon dioxide will exacerbate global warming and add millions to the numbers of illnesses such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and chemical sensitivity syndrome. it will also increase panic attacks and road rage. Quite simply, carbon dioxide is toxic at 0.07%. Government don't talk about that because they have no solution. Catalytic converters only remove carbon monoxide which is lighter than air and floats away on it's own anyway, so why bother?

At the end of my career in petrochem plants, I became acclimatized to carbon dioxide. My life was a neurological night mare for several years, and the doctors were totally dumbfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by ouwen:
    China is investing dramatically in US energy companies that use "Fracking" technology. It is believed that they want to replace air polluting coal fired electicity plants with gas fired plants. The new breed of environmentalists are so alarmed by the massive new discoveries of natural gas by fracking that they are now advocating nuclear power.

Natural gas will clear up the air (PM2.5 & 10), but will increase Carbon dioxide levels dramatically. Carbon dioxide will exacerbate global warming and add millions to the numbers of illnesses such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and chemical sensitivity syndrome. it will also increase panic attacks and road rage. Quite simply, carbon dioxide is toxic at 0.07%. Government don't talk about that because they have no solution. Catalytic converters only remove carbon monoxide which is lighter than air and floats away on it's own anyway, so why bother?

At the end of my career in petrochem plants, I became acclimatized to carbon dioxide. My life was a neurological night mare for several years, and the doctors were totally dumbfounded.

That last line explains a lot about you...
    Gatts and rathunt like this.

Damn, less than a page before ouwen steered this topic solely about Chinese pollution directly towards the US. A fine art this man has developed.

closedcasket likes this.