Like Tree48Likes

Sinagpore Riots - HK next?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler
    Well these rioters might be in for a surprise once they discover the Singaporean authorities won't treat them with kid gloves...
    Yup, looks like some of them are going to get canings and jail time.

I know it was about a bus accident but what exactly were they complaining about?

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    Actually, this is a pretty standard response to an accident in the Indian subcontinent. These guys are just doing what they'd do at home, although the police in India are good at beating people back, even if women and children are involved (and they often are)!
    Why? The article said that the victim was trapped and the rescuers could not get to him. That seems counterproductive - what's the point of rioting then?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Why? The article said that the victim was trapped and the rescuers could not get to him. That seems counterproductive - what's the point of rioting then?
    I was wondering about that too. The victim may have been dead already...hard to say without all the details at this stage. Just read a report that said the guy who was killed (he may not be a victim) had been drinking...

ouwen

The very thought of being caned would keep me on my best behaviour............

jayinhongkong likes this.

Not to derail the thread, but do any of you actually approve of the archaic practice of caning?? By the sounds of it, some do???

I think caning people (regardless of what they did) is deplorable...

Where's sinagpore?

East_coast and kimwy66 like this.

Caning of children is totally deplorable, but adults more debatable.

I think if they introduced the cane in the UK for petty vandalism and crime it really would deter a lot of the petty crims.

It certainly seems a pretty good deterrent in Singapore with their low crime rates, but it is still a brutal practice.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy

I think if they introduced the cane in the UK for petty vandalism and crime it really would deter a lot of the petty crims.

It certainly seems a pretty good deterrent in Singapore with their low crime rates, but it is still a brutal practice.

The ability to foresee the consequences of their actions is the last thing to develop in children. Law and punishment must allow for that.

Adults are free to move to a society with the cultural norms they prefer. Each state must be allowed to develop it's society to suit it's culture. A state with a society that no one likes will soon be uninhabited, or impoverished by a population too poor or unskilled to leave. Singapore is a very successful state that attracts immigration, so caning must be a viable and acceptable part of it's culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy

Used to happen to a lot of us kids who grew up in the 70's and 80's
    Didn't do us any harm.
    wtbhotia and HowardCoombs like this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast