Is there a rational explanation for the export of American culture?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    but on the whole Mexico apart from the language and culture would be more North American.
    Haven't been to the American south/southwest lately have you, amigo?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Haven't been to the American south/southwest lately have you, amigo?
    What's your point exactly? Last I checked the Southern States hadn't adopted Spanish as their official language, schools is still taught in English, the majority of TV channels remain in English and the majority of the population is still not hispanics(though not by much in Cal and NM)

Why? Does it bother you that there are now too many of "them". Want to build the big fence and join the Minutemen and get you neck nice and tanned?

What's your point exactly? Last I checked the Southern States hadn't adopted Spanish as their official language, schools is still taught in English, the majority of TV channels remain in English and the majority of the population is still not hispanics(though not by much in Cal and NM)

Why? Does it bother you that there are now too many of "them". Want to build the big fence and join the Minutemen and get you neck nice and tanned?
    Sorry, not nearly that serious. The point was Mexican culture and language are spreading northward so it isn't nearly as out of place as it was 20 years ago. So Mexico is even more North American.

And, just for the record, no, don't build the fence. Find a better way of accomodating the illegals. They aren't coming across the border just to tick off the minutemen. They are solving a problem in the US. Seems there should be a way to come up with a win-win solution, if you could just remove the politicians from the equation.

I fully realize my ancestors were immigrants almost 400 years ago; some as recently as 90 years ago. They didn't all speak the language and didn't all have the same cultural background; some of them were "them". They all became Americans. Something Bill Murray said in "Stripes" about Americans being the mutts of the world seems to be about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Sorry, not nearly that serious. The point was Mexican culture and language are spreading northward so it isn't nearly as out of place as it was 20 years ago. So Mexico is even more North American.
    So your point would be that because mexicans(and many from central american countries) are coming across the border and spreading their culture and language to the US, that makes them more North American...

So how would your theory work with the millions of asians or african american that emigrated to North America?

I don't disagree that latin culture is one part of North American culture like many others since it's a hodge podge but if you were to ask anyone whether the language and culture of Mexico has more in common with Central America or theUS and Canada, the answer seems obvious.

but on the whole Mexico apart from the language and culture would be more North American.
    Okay, back to the comment that started it all.

I was just saying that Mexican langauge and culture is not as alien to North America as your (above) comment made it seem when I first read it.
    The Mexicans aren't being made more North American so much as the cultures are fusing into something that will eventually emerge as unique. The phrase Tex-Mex comes to mind. Neither one nor the other, but both combined.

Yes, both the language and culture are more Central and South American than North American But you would have to leave out Brazil and I am not sure how close the rest of those cultures really are anyway. If you mistake a Mexican for a Guatemalan or Puerto Rican they will let you know or will just dismiss you as a loco gringo.
    Although certainly closer than they would be with traditional North American culture.

I think we are basically in agreement here?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10