Like Tree7Likes

FIFA world cup Qatar

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lady boys running in shorts for 90mn while diving here and there and spending more time at a tatoo shop than on the pitch....seriously who still watches football these days ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Stoob and kimwy66 like this.

Tell FIFA to stuff it and organize an alternative top 16 nation invitational tourney in the preceding summer in the UK. Nice stadia, good footballing weather, no Blatter.

Whilst it is popular to bash FIFA and Blatter, what's the point of hosting the WORLD cup in only countries who have the means and capability (i.e. those who have already hosted it).

I love that the WC has gone to places like America, South Africa, Korea and Japan. These have been much better than boring ones like in France and Germany.

The middle east and asia so far has been grossly under represented for world cup venues (I think it might be the first time ever actually) so as a fan of football I'm happy that it's being hosted there - equally for Russia too. Hosting the world cup in England? What's the point?

As for "disprupting" the English game: almost ALL other European leagues (to some extent) have winter breaks. This has been mooted for decades in the Premier League but the FA and the Premier League are too cowardly to do anything in the face of the TV broadcasters. Just see how many injuries have been picked up by players in the past two weeks.

Qatar being hosted in winter might even give England a chance of achieving better than the last sixteen because they won't have endured a punishing full season this time round. Who knows?

cwardnyc likes this.

I enjoy my football. I went to the last world cup in South Africa and I have already booked my tickets for the Brazil this June/July.
    If the tournament gets moved to the winter which it will do and has been known it would since the corrupt berkshire hunts voted for Qatar, then for most Northern Hemisphere leagues it will be inconvenient to say the least. Players have to have a 3 week break before a tournament and then a week after according to FIFA rules. The event is a month long so you are talking 8 weeks. 8 weeks is a tad bit longer then other footballing countries winter breaks.
    There are also other things to consider..FIFA club world cup, Confederations cup the year before (which would be moved to winter) and the small thing of a winter Olympics mooching about at the same time.
    Also if none of the home nations qualify then it will be a bloody miserable xmas.
    Also the only time I get to go to any premier league games is when I am over there at the xmas period so my thoughts are......Nuke FIFA.

I don't think the 3 week requirement is mandatory, but borne out of the fact that most seasons finish just before the WC starts, so the players need a one week break. I think the actual requirement is that players must be called up two weeks before the WC starts. I think a well organised WC (and pre-period) can be organised in about 6 weeks.

The bundesliga for example has basically a month off and it is one of the best attended leagues in the world. Winter breaks can work and it's not much of a stretch for a winter break to be 6 instead of 4 weeks.

Just in the same way that the African Cup of Nations is held in January, the date of the WC should suit the country which is hosting it.

I don't think the other competitions will be unduly affected to be honest. I do agree with you tho - it'll mean I don't get to watch any football when back at home for that Christmas break!

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I don't think the 3 week requirement is mandatory, but borne out of the fact that most seasons finish just before the WC starts, so the players need a one week break. I think the actual requirement is that players must be called up two weeks before the WC starts. I think a well organised WC (and pre-period) can be organised in about 6 weeks.

The bundesliga for example has basically a month off and it is one of the best attended leagues in the world. Winter breaks can work and it's not much of a stretch for a winter break to be 6 instead of 4 weeks.

Just in the same way that the African Cup of Nations is held in January, the date of the WC should suit the country which is hosting it.

I don't think the other competitions will be unduly affected to be honest. I do agree with you tho - it'll mean I don't get to watch any football when back at home for that Christmas break!
    Well you will, except that it will be in Qatar.

Yep exactly.... and I don't mind giving up on watching the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle and instead watching international teams slugging it out!

but I like my boxing day pint and beef stottie at St James park.

Did you see the Arsenal game a few days later? We were meant to have tickets but as we got to St James', our mate spectacularly failed to deliver.... waited around for touts and not a single one was to be found! Watched it in the Strawberry instead

I had left by then. Watched the Stoke game though with 3 red cards and also watched the Chelsea v Palace game.
    I never go to the strawberry without my wife to translate. Usually go quite often to the 3 mile inn.