Like Tree7Likes

Democracy or Republic

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Try doing any of the things Claire suggested in a US airport and see how far you get .... PARTICULARLY if you happen not be a non-US citizen, or WORSE, look foreign!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    The founders did not trust the common man. US Senators were elected by the State legislature, women could not vote, had to own land to vote, etc....

And Claire ex-ax, did you have actual examples of that list or were you just making a list? I don't doubt that there are actual examples, I just question your overly broad statement. You can't be arrested for wearing an anti-war t-shirt nor for carrying a sign. Something else was the reason for the arrest. You can travel across the USA, I have done it many times and personally know people who are doing it right now. All free speech isn't limited to certain zones, "unreasonable searches" is in the eye of the searchee, just as "cruel and unusual punshment" is in the eye of the punishee. Americans have a ton of access to due process/counsel/fair trial/public trial/impartial jury There are more lawyers per capita in the US than anywhere else).
    Perhaps she was referring to Guantanamo (sp?)?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    look foreign!
    What on earth does "look foreign" mean in the context of the USA, the country which probably has the most racially diverse citizenry of any country on Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What on earth does "look foreign" mean in the context of the USA, the country which probably has the most racially diverse citizenry of any country on Earth?
    How is it more racially diverse than Canada, Australia or the UK? Just like in those countries, it's mostly limited to major cities. The only difference would be that with 260 millions(or so) you're bound to have a few more people but not more diversity than cities like Toronto, Sydney or London.

And you can't argue that if you look Middle Eastern, you won't be more scrutinized than if you're caucasians...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think it is fairly obvious what it means. Despite the USA being racially diverse, it does not stop people being treated differently some of the time by the various security forces because of their race, ethnicity, dress etc.
    Just trying to answer the question. I am not suggesting that this is any different to any other country in the world.

My husband who is born in Kuwait, Indian citizen always gets questioned in US when their terror threat level is elevated for simple reason because he is born in an arab country. Though it is common knowledge that arab countries donot give citizenship to nonarabs

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I was referring to people such as John Gilmore (suing to be able to travel within the US without having to show ID - which used to happen in the former S.U.); Don Zirkel, a wheelchair-bound 80-y-o former church deacon who was arrested when he refused to take off his anti-war T-shirt in the food court of the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove; Stephen Downs who was wearing a T-shirt bearing the words "Give Peace A Chance"; and folks with anti-war/Bush signs who were arrested for failing to move to "free-speech designated zones" when folks with pro-Bush signs were permitted to line the president's path, e.g. Bill Neel, the two grandmothers are Legend's Field, Brett Bursey who was arrested for holding a "No War for Oil" sign at a Bush visit to Columbia, S.C. and when he asked the arrested officer whether "it was the content of my sign, and he said, 'Yes, sir, it's the content of your sign that's the problem.' " Et al.

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter:
    This is a stupid post, since only Americans would understand the Constitution and system of government. All the people on here are from dictatorships under a Queen and not true elected rulers. Only Americans understand what freedom really means. Sad post, perryco, but you tried to educate a stupid bunch of expats.
    What I always wonder, is what do you understand?

And this gem shows up in my PMs.

Amazing that I even keep accessing this website... even though I do not agree with redwriter. I do seem to always read the American bashing....

I have read your posts and deem you an intelligent individual and Indian.

So, if that is that case... would you be upset if I publically called ALL Indians... IDIOTS. Which I do not believe, would be true, but others may believe if I had posted over 10,000 comments on this site.
    My response .. just incase others got the impression that I was picking on Americans...

I think the slam was on redwriter, who implied that people who're not americans would not know much about democracy since they were born under a monarchy or as he put it a "dictatorship".

Ergo .. Amercians would not know what a dictatorship or a monarchy was.

Try doing any of the things Claire suggested in a US airport and see how far you get .... PARTICULARLY if you happen not be a non-US citizen, or WORSE, look foreign!
    With all due respect, people get SHOT in the UK for running with a backpack, from what I recall.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast