Like Tree7Likes

Democracy or Republic

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

for example the complete freedom to intercept any and all private communications without any judicial oversight whatsoever, as just enacted in the US
    And now being enacted through out the rest of the EU and other countries that will just bend over backwards to be friends with the US.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    With all due respect, people get SHOT in the UK for running with a backpack, from what I recall.
    I think the result of the investigation into the shooting was that the Met Police were charged under the Health and Safety Act!!!!

What? Their noise from their gun shots were above the regulated noise levels?

With all due respect, people get SHOT in the UK for running with a backpack, from what I recall.
    Black guys get shot every week for being black in the USA.

Arabs and muslims get profiled all the time as terrorist suspects in the USA. Watching Morgan Spurlock's '30 Days as a Muslim' (I think that was the title) it was so odd to see a the guy constantly getting bad treatment, constantly being eyed up, full body searches at airports, etc. Well, not that odd, kind of predictable, but still bad to see in action.

The Menezes case was such an extremely rare case that it made news headlines for months. It's a once a year or perhaps even once a decade occurrence in the UK.

What? Their noise from their gun shots were above the regulated noise levels?

from the justice for jean website

"A week before the one year anniversary of Jean’s killing, the Crown Prosecution service announced that they would not charge any police officer with any offence as a result of the shooting. At the same time they announce a decision to prosecute the Metropolitan police as a corporate body under Health and Safety legislation for failing to protect the health and safety of the Jean Charles."

They shot him!!! Astonishing!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What on earth does "look foreign" mean in the context of the USA, the country which probably has the most racially diverse citizenry of any country on Earth?
    To be fair, that's very limited to big cities. In particular New York.

I'd argue that London is the most racially diverse city on the planet - in fact, it's claimed that more languages are spoken in London than any other city on Earth, which is a pretty good claim to London being the most racially diverse place.

Outside of New York (and LA/SF/etc) the USA is fairly white. Certainly there aren't many middle eastern or Asian people in the deep south, whereas they make up a large portion of many parts of England.

You could say that same about the English countryside, but England's so small and the cities so close together... even Birmingham and Manchester are very diverse.

But I don't want to argue it too much, as yes, your general point still stands. Alongside the UK the USA is the most racially diverse country on the planet.

Again, not to get too pedantic, but I did say "citizenry", not residents. The UK, and London specifically, has a very high proportion of foreign citizens resident there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    No, not a good thing. I have a more "Shakespearan" attitude about lawyers.
    Just pointing out that if there was no due process, counsel, trials, etc... there would not be as many lawyers.
    May be sites like these would give a different perspective about the legal situation -
    stupid lawsuits, laughing at lawyers, funny lawsuits, lawyer humor, goofy lawsuits
    Funny Lawsuits

Quoted twice for good measure, I'd like to point out that one man got shot. It was a one off, once in a blue moon event. The police who shot him probably shouldn't have been holding guns in the first place, British police just don't have enough experience with lethal force.

Many, probably most, immigrants in the UK, are very well integrated into society, especially the younger generations. My school was incredibly mixed, with 30 people in each class there were probably 10-15 nationalities. All the British Indian kids, British Chinese kids, British African kids, etc etc, were completely integrated culturally. We all spoke the same, dresses the same, liked more or less the same things.

There might be some backwards views in Britain, but for anyone under the age of 30 I'd hope those would be erased as we've all grown up together.

And if you're really linking the terrorists to racial profiling, it was only 20 years ago that the IRA were a threat any any Irishman was due a full body search and hours in a police cell at any border crossing.

Quoted twice for good measure, I'd like to point out that one man got shot. It was a one off, once in a blue moon event. The police who shot him probably shouldn't have been holding guns in the first place, British police just don't have enough experience with lethal force.
    Lets not mix facts with a perfectly good argument.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast