Like Tree9Likes

US democracy at work

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

OK so if I summarize, the main reasons people need a gun are:
    for sport, hunting, and for a few ppl, protection

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Given the percentage of Americans with guns, those woods must be crowded, dangerous places

If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise
    A hundred million Yanks are there
    Shooting things without a care.......

So those reddish leaves I see in the pictures of New England, is that really blood splatter?
    You've got that right. Every year some fool hunter, usually from a big city, shoots some other hunter because he thought the guy was a deer.
    But there are people who learned to hunt correctly, probably at a young age, and there are yahoos who just bought a gun and think it would be fun to wander the woods and shoot the first thing that moves. And, like so many things, it is even more fun is you drink a lot of alcohol before and during.
    Altough I am from New England and I don't think it is the center of the gun owner's universe. So the reddish leaves aren't from blood, but I can see why you'd think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    You've got that right. Every year some fool hunter, usually from a big city, shoots some other hunter because he thought the guy was a deer.
    Dick Cheney, for example!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leghk:
    Dick Cheney, for example!!!
    Very good; wish I had thought of that.

PerryCo--I think the US and UK are going to let Israel do that for them. It is possible that Bush would do it before November, but it would really screw with the election, so I doubt it.

The US can ill afford to get embroiled in yet another conflict. They need to take care of their own economy first before it goes even more down the toilet...

I doubt that the voters would be impressed by yet another foreign blunder..

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Even more disgusting is the stuff the Republicans are putting out now that the US could experience another terrorist attack and this means that they need McCain as POTUS. No matter how honorable McCain is his party are disgusting as is President Bush who has played the fear card beautifully to get re-elected.

I agree with ret Gen Wesley Clark that flying in a fighter plane (McCain) at 35,000 feet and getting shot down are not qualifications to be Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.
    So then in your mind only Eisenhower was the only person ever qualified as POTUS ?

That leaves a lot of REALLY good POTUS in history as what ??

History judges a politician on his greatness.
    Truman was considered in his time as a joke but history judged him otherwise. Also the likes of Adams, Lincoln, Roosevelt ( how can a cripple be POTUS ? ) and ( considering what he has quietly achieved against poverty ) Carter. The list can go on and where do you judge the Bush's? Father shot down ala McCain in WW2 and Son hiding in the NAG shooting not the enemy but vodka.

I think you reasoning is EXTREMELY flawed. As for Clark's comments, he was running a political campaign, which has little to do with factual correctness.
    Last edited by Boris; 02-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.

"u all h8 usa?"

NO!

There are a few idiots on here who think geoexpat users are anti-american, and am sure there are a few idiots on here who are anti-american.

The rest of us have opinions on issues concerning the US, - and other countries/subjects - some supportive and some not. As rational human beings this does not affect how we judge the country in general or the majority of its citizens.

This is the freedom of speech that redwriter does not think exists on here.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol...eadly-weapons/

Soon everyone can make their own gun....

And they're debating who will give the most money in Medicaid...

Why are the below topics NOT openly debated?

- Guns
    - gay marriage
    - abortion
    - party donors
    - etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    OK so if I summarize, the main reasons people need a gun are:
    for sport, hunting, and for a few ppl, protection
    an 4 laughs!

rathunt likes this.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I have held and shot rifles, hand guns, shot guns and I don't need that to make me feel manly and I don't need one to make me feel safe either.

There's a wide difference between calling for a ban on all guns and overturning a law that was enacted by elected officials. Some of these like the Chicago one have been in the books for a number of years. A law that was enacted by elected officials being repealed by judges that are NOT elected but appointed.

Law is often a matter of precedents, the current judges have decided to ignore those and cover themselves with the Constitution which is a couple of hundred years old. It's about politics not the law.

And keep in mind the language of the Constitution is: The precise language of the Second Amendment reads:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The intent behind the constitution wasn't necessarily to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to own guns.

The militias that won the American revolution were made up of citizen volunteers, and every Tom, Dick and Harry one of them brought their own personal guns to the party. Same for Washington's army.

Admiral Yamamoto was interviewed after his great victory at Pearl Harbor, where he annihilated the US Pacific fleet and left West Coast USA defenseless. He was asked why he did not invade the US.
    Admiral Yamamoto replied that "there would be a gun behind every blade of grass". The individual American rifleman kept the continental USA safe from WWII occupation, and kept it's industry intact for the Allied war effort.
    closedcasket and climber07 like this.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast