Like Tree60Likes

Danish woman 'gang-raped' in Indian capital Delhi

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    What I wrote is clear. Your comprehension and interpretation is flawed.
    I don't think so. You said that German lady was asking for it. You said she got no right to whinge because she didn't take precaution by taking a train by herself. In other words, you are implying it's ok she got rape because she didn't take the necessary precaution...

How else is a backpacker going to get around India? "beam me up scotty"? Of course people have to take the train! And just because she has no friends to travel with - what? stay at home? Trains are PUBLIC TRANSPORT and should be safe. It's terrible to suggest a lady cannot backpack alone. You wouldn't say a man can't so why restrict women? It just makes the problems worse - see Fiona's stories for why it's horrible to be told to "stay inside for your own safety"!

Original Post Deleted
    Its terrible we have areas of the world that are not as safe as they could be, these are well known and well documented. The person who chooses to enter these areas should accept some responsibility for their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm glad something is being done on one side, but as unpopular as it may be to blame the victim, I cant stop myself criticize....

My deepest sympathies to the Danish woman who got lost accidentally and found herself in a location where she was attacked.

I have much less sympathy for the 18 year old german who chose to take a train, alone.

Are people deaf and blind? The reports of crime, attacks and rapes have been on the headlines for months on end ...all over the papers, news networks and the internet. Why would anyone take the risk and put themselves (alone) into a situation like that....
    I agree with HC. I find it truly appalling that a woman can't travel alone without putting herself at such risk. Just as I find it appalling that some men don't accept that when a woman says no she means no (even if she's your wife, girlfriend or date) or that if a woman has been drinking and/or has a sexual history some people consider she was "asking for it" if she's raped. They situations are all horribly wrong and unacceptable into view.

However, we live in a sh*tty world where this stuff happens. Until it stops (IF it can ever be stopped) the sensible step is to adjust your behaviour accordingly to minimise the risk of this happening to you. Yes it's not bloody fair but rapists and attackers don't care about fair. I usually stand up for my what I believe is right and to hell with the consequences (hence my current unemployment!!) but in these situations, it's a damn sight more important to put your personal safety before your principles.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    In case you have not noticed, thats already the case, more so in US/UK/Canada...

The starting point MUST be that any woman at any time ought to have a reasonable expectation of not getting raped.

Two ways to solve this:

1. Don't go to places which might put you at risk of rape.

2. Educate, publicise, shame and evolve a society's way of thinking (and castrate offenders).

Maybe both ways can run concurrently but the implementation of option 1 (IMHO) is not the way to live your life.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    How else is a backpacker going to get around India? "beam me up scotty"? Of course people have to take the train! And just because she has no friends to travel with - what? stay at home? Trains are PUBLIC TRANSPORT and should be safe. It's terrible to suggest a lady cannot backpack alone. You wouldn't say a man can't so why restrict women? It just makes the problems worse - see Fiona's stories for why it's horrible to be told to "stay inside for your own safety"!

Original Post Deleted
    Easier for a man to say. Given that it's alleged most rapes go unreported, how can a rational person make that judgement given they have no idea what the risk % is?

A good friend of mine was raped at knifepoint (walking home from work) many years ago and it ruined her life. She did all the right things and it went to court but the guy got off because his GF lied to give him an alibi. It destroyed her. She started cutting herself and she tried various suicide attempts. She was my best friend from university and we were inseparable. I was the person she called that night it happened. I had to stand by and watch her disintegrate over the years. She has literally never got over it and even when she doesn't realise it, I can see how it impacts all her choices. It's heart breaking.

I'm damn sure she'd say avoid the 0.0002% risk if you can because if you're the unlucky one, it might just ruin your life.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Two ways to solve this:

1. Don't go to places which might put you at risk of rape.

2. Educate, publicise, shame and evolve a society's way of thinking (and castrate offenders).

Maybe both ways can run concurrently but the implementation of option 1 (IMHO) is not the way to live your life.
    you can still go but go with precautions. Go with a group, go with a weapon , go during the day, go but use donkey-transport instead of train -- there are many choices when you go....
    To expect perfection (nothing should happen to me) while history and current reality tells you otherwise is pure stupidity.

The world is improving but not perfect:
    If I take a train in China, there is a tiny chance of a crash.
    If I take a train in UK, there is a small chance of delay.
    If I take a train in France or Italy, there is a chance of a strike/cancellation
    If I take a train in Africa, there is a chance of a breakdown.
    If I take a train in Canada, there is a small chance that I will get bored
    and If a woman takes a train in India, by herself, at night time .....
    like I said, dont expect perfection but look at your situation and choices realistically.

You are far more likely to be raped by a partner or ex-partner than by a stranger.

So I guess women should stop dating men altogether to avoid the risk?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast