Like Tree29Likes

USA is like a 3rd world country say Jo Biden

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I agree that with the US airports it's very hit and miss depending on how old they are. I avoid Chicago O'Hare like the plague... SFO, Denver, Houston International are nice. But in all my years living abroad, nothing is greater than stepping off a plane in Austin, Texas, instantly hearing country music, having endless space (relatively speaking to HK!), bluebonnet-scented soap, BBQ restaurants, and Amy's Ice Cream.... and knowing I'm home!
    In transit getting to Austin, I've had several memorable experiences of arriving in the US and feeling the immense friendliness of Americans. Once I wanted to buy a bottle of water, but realized at the counter that I didn't have a way to pay, so the person behind me offered to buy it for me. Another time I was rushing to get to my next flight, and a family was in my way, and the man kindly said to his children "Oh! Let's move out of way to let this lady pass!" Man, oh man, do I miss these kinds of random acts of kindness sometimes and they certainly have made me feel welcomed home!
    I could write volumes about everything wrong with America -- and I feel having grown up there, I know better than most non-Americans. I've grown pretty weary of living abroad and hearing how much America is picked on. What I wish non-Americans could know is how impoverished most Americans are. Somehow the expectations of what America is (perhaps simply based on what it once was) is not in line with reality, and thus leads to a lot of unjust snickering.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...dy-test-scores

Last edited by Elegiaque; 09-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    ouwen likes this.

hk is also a third world place in terms of living condition

Quote Originally Posted by chanyk95277:
    hk is also a third world place in terms of living condition
    The government does seem sot be stuck in the 1960's with regard to housing. Small poor quality flats with economic segregation and no regulations on insulation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The government does seem sot be stuck in the 1960's with regard to housing. Small poor quality flats with economic segregation and no regulations on insulation etc.
    Elegiaque likes this.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I agree that with the US airports it's very hit and miss depending on how old they are. I avoid Chicago O'Hare like the plague... SFO, Denver, Houston International are nice. But in all my years living abroad, nothing is greater than stepping off a plane in Austin, Texas, instantly hearing country music, having endless space (relatively speaking to HK!), bluebonnet-scented soap, BBQ restaurants, and Amy's Ice Cream.... and knowing I'm home!
    In transit getting to Austin, I've had several memorable experiences of arriving in the US and feeling the immense friendliness of Americans. Once I wanted to buy a bottle of water, but realized at the counter that I didn't have a way to pay, so the person behind me offered to buy it for me. Another time I was rushing to get to my next flight, and a family was in my way, and the man kindly said to his children "Oh! Let's move out of way to let this lady pass!" Man, oh man, do I miss these kinds of random acts of kindness sometimes and they certainly have made me feel welcomed home!
    I could write volumes about everything wrong with America -- and I feel having grown up there, I know better than most non-Americans. I've grown pretty weary of living abroad and hearing how much America is picked on. What I wish non-Americans could know is how impoverished most Americans are. Somehow the expectations of what America is (perhaps simply based on what it once was) is not in line with reality, and thus leads to a lot of unjust snickering.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...dy-test-scores
    You are wise to avoid O'hare. Year after year, it ranks as North America's most dangerous airport by aircraft spacing and density, and by FAA violations.

Austin is indeed unique. If Austin were to replace Washington DC, the world would be on the road to peace and prosperity.
    Elegiaque likes this.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Government should stay out of housing. The US govt stimulated the economy by creating a boom in housing construction and the result was the 2008 economic crisis, and millions of Americans losing their homes to foreclosure.

In Houston, 5 bedroom houses are built with gold plated faucets and toilet flush handles. Why? Because when an American comes to Texas to get a job, he has to buy a home that costs more than the one he sold in New York or Boston, or he loses the right to sell his home capital gains tax free. That could be a huge financial penalty when he sells his home to finance retirement and travel.
    Last edited by ouwen; 12-02-2014 at 05:01 PM.

I was wondering how long it would be after you posted in the thread for you to mention the dreaded "T" word.

chris_yang22 and ouwen like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4