Like Tree170Likes

The movie Noah being slammed for inaccuracies??

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Bloody hell WC, you don't half go on a bit!

You a very angry man?

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Bloody hell WC, you don't half go on a bit!

You a very angry man?
    Sorry, my bad.

I just don't get why Kimwy66 couldn't answer my perfectly legit question.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 04-04-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Kimwy66, do you have a detailed knowledge of quantum mechanics etc or, like me, only a rough understanding of the principles, but choose to put my faith in the prophets of that particular message that makes sense to me?

Also, it's not cool to cherry pick parts of the bible to try to make out all religious people are stupid, when all but the fundamentalists will agree it's not the literal truth.

It reminds me of other fundamentalists who cherry pick parts of their own books to justify hate or violence.

Watercooler likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I participated as I see this kind of thing coming up all of the time on here and simply chose to contribute today.

I may well be wrong but I don't think I am arrogant.

I, like you, agree that organised religion has done more harm than good and don't believe in any of them. In fact I'm quite resentful of the attempted catholic indoctrination forced upon me from birth. But I don't judge all catholics based upon it.

Lots of people take comfort from it though so I thought I would add another voice to the debate.

Not interested in sitting here all day bickering though, so I will bow out.
    Watercooler likes this.

Some atheists somehow seem to think of themselves as having superior intelligence and/or judgment and some religious people somehow seem to think of themselves as having superior morals. Neither science nor religion have all the answers nor does any man or woman. I don't really believe in gods or any religion however I have and would continue to do good work on behalf of them if and when the opportunity arises.

While I think it's quite funny to see Maher having a bit of fun with some of the sillier parts of religion, it's equally funny to see some of you take themselves so seriously. BTW, not all religious people take their stories at face value, it would be very ignorant to make that assumption. Religion is far more than a collection of stories. It is not in itself the cause of violence or intolerance, that comes from individuals and one only has to look over the border to see that with or without religion, violence and intolerance is just as common. It's also quite obvious from some of the posts here that intolerance can run just as deep in atheists.

Somehow claiming that the world would be a better place without religion is without base and completely out of touch with reality. There are reasons why worshipping gods has always been around and these reasons will never go away. For every instance of violence related to religion, you can find acts of charity or communities working together. Nothing is perfect in this world and whether a person is an atheist or a believer, it doesn't define their judgment, logic or morality. It's the simple minded fanatics that see things only one way.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

O man of Shuruppak, son of Ubartutu:
    Tear down the house and build a boat!
    Abandon wealth and seek living beings!
    Spurn possessions and keep alive living beings!
    Make all living beings go up into the boat.
    The boat which you are to build,
    its dimensions must measure equal to each other:
    its length must correspond to its width.
    Roof it over like the Apsu.

As least with the Epic of Gilgamesh, people knew it was fiction.

Some people believe in ghosts, others in monkey gods, others think they come back as animals, some think there are aliens, others in horoscope or fortune tellers. The majority of people in this world probably believe in one thing or another that stretches the imagination. That's just the way it is and will always be... Some of you need to get over yourselves a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakejake:
    Somehow claiming that the world would be a better place without religion is without base and completely out of touch with reality. There are reasons why worshipping gods has always been around and these reasons will never go away.
    Worshipping 'gods' is declining in developed countries. Although mankind does seem to have an innate need to 'believe' and 'belong' to something. In modern societies organised religion is being marginalised by other shared social activities that offer a similar belief and belonging feelings (e.g. NHL). This would seem to be a good trend as these new forms of collective enjoyment appear to be less dogmatic and more accepting of other groups alternate habits and beliefs.

The pious nature of some of the leading current myth based religions demanding the belief in only 'one true god' and the feeling that their belief structure is the only true path to the XXXXX (somewhere nice) pushes away people who choose a different collective and structured social support systems. The questioning of the accuracies of a myth in a film by segments in society is amusing to some, baffling to others and unimportant to most.

Wasn't the myth of Noah based on the breaching of the Bosporus Strait resulting in a rapid rise in the level of the previously land locked black sea?

Last edited by East_coast; 04-04-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Frankly speaking, my only reason to see that movie would be, to find out why the heck Noah thought it's a good idea to save rats and cockroaches from the flood. Somehow I have the sneaky suspicion, that this most important question won't be answered.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Worshipping 'gods' is declining in developed countries. Although mankind does seem to have an innate need to 'believe' and 'belong' to something. In modern societies organised religion is being marginalised by other shared social activities that offer a similar belief and belonging feelings (e.g. NHL). This would seem to be a good trend as these new forms of collective enjoyment appear to be less dogmatic and more accepting of other groups alternate habits and beliefs.
    Except for the US, which remains staunchly religious, particularly in the Deep South.

For the developing world it is not quite declining. China ha experienced a religious revival after decades of suppression. The numbers of true believers, whether for Christianity or Buddhism is growing.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast