Like Tree6Likes

Sir and Miss sexist?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"It's a depressing example of how women are given low status and men, no matter how young or new in the job they are, are given high status."
    It's completely the wrong focus. Teachers who think like this shouldn't be a teacher at all.

Just stick to "OI", then there will be no sex discrimination

They should do like everyone else in Hong Kong and called them "woman" or "lady"... that sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it (which is mainly going through the airport scanners, for some reason!... "woman, is this your bag?". AGGHHHHH! "Miss" or even "M'am" would be so much politer.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

I have been called a lot of names in my time as you can imagine but quite a few times I get ticked off when our helper calls me sir and took me a while to get her off her calling me that now.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    They should do like everyone else in Hong Kong and called them "woman" or "lady"... that sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it (which is mainly going through the airport scanners, for some reason!... "woman, is this your bag?". AGGHHHHH! "Miss" or even "M'am" would be so much politer.
    Oh, Woman,
    Please let me explain,
    They never meant to cause you,
    Sorrow or pain.
    bookblogger likes this.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I just spent over half a hour on the phone to Microsoft support, and called, " ma'am" almost every third word made me feel.....old. But it was polite. I get other people's helpers call me ma'am, and I feel humbled seeing as I'm not their employer, just another civilian. Personally, I don't see any difference in social status in referring to a man as "sir", and a woman as , "ma'am". ( if some one called me, sir, then I'd be worried. )

If someone referred to me as ," woman", that would give me more than enough reason to hand out a smack in the chops. I find it derogatory.

I don't mind being referred to as ," miss", but shop assistants following me around calling, " hey missy, missy...".....ggggrrrrr.....
    Last edited by Natfixit; 15-05-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Right! Because the issue of what to call a teacher is FAR more important than ensuring the kids can read, write and count.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Right! Because the issue of what to call a teacher is FAR more important than ensuring the kids can read, write and count.
    And think for themselves

Surely the problem is with a society that perceives "sir" to have more value than "miss" and "mrs" better than "miss"? In other words there is nothing wrong with what the kids say, the problem is with those hearing it and putting unintended values on the words.

oki_boy likes this.