View Poll Results: What single law would you change to improve the lot of the FDH's?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allow FDH's to become PR's after 7 years

3 9.09%
  • Allow FDH's to stay in HK and work while any dispute with a former employer is ongoing

3 9.09%
  • Remove the exemption for FHD's from the Anti Discrimination Law

1 3.03%
  • Remove the special wage laws for FHD's so that the standard minimum wage would apply to them

1 3.03%
  • Allow FDH's to live out

14 42.42%
  • Scrap the FDH scheme entirely

5 15.15%
  • Increase the penalties for breaches of law or contract (e.g. not giving rest days, not proper accom)

1 3.03%
  • Increase enforcement of the existing laws (e.g. spot inspections, more vigorous prosecution etc)

4 12.12%
  • None of these - the FDH scheme works fine as it is

1 3.03%
  • Something else (specify in post)

0 0%
Like Tree30Likes

What single action would you do to help FDH's?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What single action would you do to help FDH's?

Hopefully I can remember how to put up a poll.

If you could change ONE law to improve the situation of the FDH, what would it be? Yes, I know that in an ideal world we would change many things, but life is never ideal and HK being what it is, I suspect that improvements will come one step at a time. So - which step would you like to be the first?

I have (or will, if I can remember how!) put all the options I remember seeing discussed in the other thread but if not, just list it.

And yes, I realise that increased enforcement is not a change in law, but it seemed like a good thing to add. I think that the actual law change that would enable this is to allow FDH's to stay in HK and work if they are in a dispute - unlike now when they can't work - at least then they would be able to live while exercising their legal rights. So that's my vote, because I basically believe that enforcing what is supposed to happen now is the first step.

ONE, remember

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 16-06-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Abolish the live-in rule.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Scrap this legalised slavery and get the Nouveau Privileged out of their Ivory Towers.

Point in case - An expat posted on the Facebook Expats Hong Kong page looking for a shed ( with aircon so that must make it right then ) that she could put on the roof of their village house for the DH to live in. A LOT of posters thought this perfectly reasonable. REALLY ???? What next -- A range of DH bowls for food and water. Take them out only on special leads with monitoring devices in case they run off ? The only difference between a dog and a DH appears to be aircon.

Gone for enforcement but I would like it coupled to increased penalties. Either one without the other is weak.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I'll say abolish the two week rule because it makes it extremely difficult for FDHs to leave abusive employers.

Thanks for this thread. It's very interesting trying to decide between the two week rule, the live-in rule, capped hours, etc. I bet, and this is what's interesting to me, I bet nobody picks P.R. after 7 years...

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

HK_Katherine likes this.

? Is it a poll? Can't see it on iPad...

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Choosing only one makes it hard!

I went for "allow them to live out". But PR after 7 years is a very close second, and the two-week rule is third.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Scrap this legalised slavery and get the Nouveau Privileged out of their Ivory Towers.

Point in case - An expat posted on the Facebook Expats Hong Kong page looking for a shed ( with aircon so that must make it right then ) that she could put on the roof of their village house for the DH to live in. A LOT of posters thought this perfectly reasonable. REALLY ???? What next -- A range of DH bowls for food and water. Take them out only on special leads with monitoring devices in case they run off ? The only difference between a dog and a DH appears to be aircon.
    Yup I saw that too, disgusting behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:

It only sounds bad when you call it a 'shed'. I've seen several covered rooftops in HK with these extra rooms and they are perfectly reasonable. In Oz we'd call them Granny flats. Keep using the word 'shed' though.

Tai Sun Awning

Last edited by Prefab Sprout; 17-06-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    HK_Katherine and iliketurtles like this.

Allowing FDH's to live out will make the relationship between their employer and themselves more normal. The inability of employers to threaten the withdrawal or reduction living standards would help self regulate any potential escalation of abuse. If things get heated at the moment the power and authority in the argument is very asymmetric with the ability to live out the FDH can leave and have time for reflection not escalation.

iliketurtles likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast