Like Tree28Likes

Robin Williams Dead - RIP

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another reminder that fame does not necessarily mean happiness. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Well, he is not the first (and probably not the last) actor, or even comedian, to battle depression or mental problems. A recent article in the British Journal of Psychiatry detailed the results of 523 American, British, and Australian comedians’ self-assessment tests measuring psychotic personality traits. The researchers found that the comics did tend to score significantly higher for psychotic traits than the general population. (A control group of actors who took the test also scored higher than normal for psychotic traits but not as high as comedians.):
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/early/2014/01/02/bjp.bp.113.134569.abstract?sid=4151251e-f0a2-45cf-a427-64688ea8f8a4

seriously whats wrong with you WC ?

this is a forum dedicated to offering condolences not sharing your 2 bit BS information on the link between depression and comedians...

Quote Originally Posted by rakedavids:
    seriously whats wrong with you WC ?

this is a forum dedicated to offering condolences not sharing your 2 bit BS information on the link between depression and comedians...
    Well I did offer condolences. And I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning comedians and depression. Its not b.s as there is a strong link. Not belittling this tragedy in any way. Its a serious issue that should be addressed, not least because of the toll depression has taken on people. So what is wrong with ​you?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 12-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    iliketurtles likes this.

Really sad to know hie killed himself. Many years ago you have a movie about depression and suicide but with a happy endings and now you chose the same path but with a sad ends.... RIP RW.

Such sad news and such an immensely talented comedian.

From an interview in 2010:

"My worry beforehand had been that Williams would be too wildly manic to make much sense. When he appeared on the Jonathan Ross show earlier this summer, he'd been vintage Williams – hyperactive to the point of deranged, ricocheting between voices, riffing off his internal dialogues. Off-camera, however, he is a different kettle of fish. His bearing is intensely Zen and almost mournful, and when he's not putting on voices he speaks in a low, tremulous baritone – as if on the verge of tears – that would work very well if he were delivering a funeral eulogy. He seems gentle and kind – even tender – but the overwhelming impression is one of sadness."

Damn demons won in the end.

Thank you for all the years you shared with us, Robin.

Skyhook and iliketurtles like this.

Original Post Deleted

I was using the term more closely related to this definition: "something that causes a person to have a lot of trouble or unhappiness".

Aye but therein lies the rub, while he may have jokingly attributed it to that, such a comment might be for our entertainment while deep inside he was feeling dark and hopeless.
    iliketurtles likes this.

So sad to see such a great man taken in this manner.

Regardless, there does appear to be a link between comics and depression. Tim Ferguson and Richard Fidler:

Richard: "Being in comedy… I don't know. I'm not a very nice person so much as I used to be anyway. Comedy makes you more horrible as a human being as you go on. You become more cranky, bitter, alienated."

Tim: "And it makes you a bit of a kleptomaniac of genuine experiences. Any experience that is deeply felt in my life, I just become a kleptomaniac of, and I just disregard it for its intrinsic value and I think, 'My God, can I make this funny?'. That's so true. 'My best friend just tried to shoot his mother.' Gee wiz - I wonder what that would look like. So things that should be important are eventually just pilfered from life and the important experiences, the landmark experiences of my life, simply become good punch lines."
    Tangawarra Home > DAAS Home > DAAS Articles > 11

Can't say I really ever found him very funny. I thought he was good in Dead Poet's Society, but that's about it. Surprised to see all the grief. If people want to kill them selves sobeit.

Mr Me, I think for a lot of people he was the ultimate comedian. That's the case for me, anyway. I grew up on his comedy and it rests in a very special place in my heart.

There's something very morose about a brilliant comedian killing himself.

Natfixit and kpelszyn like this.