Like Tree28Likes

Robin Williams Dead - RIP

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yeap.

If you are surprised at the outpourings of grief, so be it.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Me:
    Surprised to see all the grief.
    He was a very well loved entertainer. I'm surprised that you are surprised.
    If people want to kill them selves sobeit.
    It would be so much nicer if they could do it with more dignity. Alas, the law of the land doesnt allow for dignified exits; those who want to get off the ride have to resort to not-so-nice methods.
    Natfixit likes this.

I liked some of his stuff; some of it left me cold; but unlike many people who have died recently, I had no difficulty whatsoever placing the name, face, remembering names of films/TV shows etc. And I'm really not into "modern pop culture" or whatever - which says a lot for how much he did and how memorable it was. It surprises me that anyone would even bother to post on a thread if they didn't care. It's sad that someone who brought joy to many did not find that joy in life himself. As I said earlier, such a shame.

O Captain! My Captain!

Proplus and iliketurtles like this.

Rip man. Never be forgotten.
    Watched his What Dreams May Come. Its remarkable.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Well I did offer condolences. And I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning comedians and depression. Its not b.s as there is a strong link. Not belittling this tragedy in any way. Its a serious issue that should be addressed, not least because of the toll depression has taken on people. So what is wrong with ​you?
    Rowan Atkinson and John Cleese for two examples of clinical depression. I, for one find the number of deaths brought on by the effects of depression extremely disturbing, namely being the unwilling recipient of a family member's actions courtesy of untreated clinical depression cum bipolar, and no one willing or able to step in and help either party. It usually affects people of a higher IQ than the norm, the person affected by depression. Robin Williams was no dummy. Being an academic or in an occupation deemed to be of higher intelligence does not mean that one is of lesser intelligence. More often than not, the person suffering from clinical depression ( which untreated can turn into bipolar or even schizophrenia) is a hell of a lot smarter than what others know. Drug and alcohol ( both are depressants, themselves, hence the outcome) only excerberates the problem into something worse. A crutch or two that will only lead you further into the abyss. I was shocked this morning when I read the news of his passing. His wife and family must be devastated. In pictures , one can see that she is the positive in Robin Williams life, keeps him going but inside, something darker is going on. I bet he's got the angels in heaven in stitches laughing by now.

Strange, I turned on the TV tonight, and RV was on. I had to switch it off. Just not tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    RI, for one find the number of deaths brought on by the effects of depression extremely disturbing
    The number of deaths over money worries is also very sad.

"News of Robin Williams’s death due to apparent suicide, said to be a result of suffering severe depression, is terribly sad. But to say taking your own life because of such an illness is a ‘selfish’ act does nothing but insult the deceased, potentially cause more harm and reveal a staggering ignorance of mental health problems"

Robin Williams's death: a reminder that suicide and depression are not selfish | Dean Burnett | Science | theguardian.com

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Rowan Atkinson and John Cleese for two examples of clinical depression. e
    Tommy Cooper and Spike Milligan also come straight to mind as celebrities battling depression, and then there are a few well names on this list:

IMDb: Celebrities with a history of depression and/or anxiety - a list by johanna-khristina