McCain's VP choice?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by penguin:
    The Republicans might vote for Rice.

Colin Powell would be good, but doubt he would accept it.
    Wow. Now that would be a good choice!!! I hadn't thought of him. His only baggage is the Iraq War and his presentation at the UN that turned out to be bogus BS.

Condi Rice might be an interesting choice too but not sure of her campaigning strengths.

Would the Republican base vote be turned off by a black VP candidate? Not sure as we know the VP doesn't get the votes - the Presidential candidate does.

Lieberman is looking to be like yesterday's news. He ran with Gore but I am not sure what message he would send other than Washington insider who can match Biden. Lieberman votes mostly with the Dems but had to run as an independent to get his Senate seat back. Not a bad guy but not a good choice.

Romney to me looks solid but he like Biden failed to generate any interest as a Presidential candidate. He looks Presidential even though is boring.

I don't know the other Governors mentioned but they might be picked due to regional considerations.

It is a hard one to call.

A woman on his ticket might help but I don't know the strong Republic women these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    So the states you mention above are predominantly one party or the other. As you point out, the floating voters here are pretty worthless, but so are the die-hards. I could always take my argument out a level and say it's the marginal states that are going to decide the election outcome, and in these states it's the floating voters whose votes are the most valuable.

Either way, I still think my point stands that there is little to be gained by appealing to your core vote. You have to be careful not to alienate them whilst trying to woo the floating voters who can make the difference between victory and defeat.
    That all sounds correct to me. The (unfortunate) way the system is set up, to become Pres you need to appeal to about 5% of the voters in about10% of the states. Time for the electoral college to go away, just like the original thoughts on women voting, black voting and election of Senators have all gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    That all sounds correct to me. The (unfortunate) way the system is set up, to become Pres you need to appeal to about 5% of the voters in about10% of the states. Time for the electoral college to go away, just like the original thoughts on women voting, black voting and election of Senators have all gone away.
    Yep - this democracy thing is certainly a funny business. It's also why KIA was right, that the polls need to be looked at, and that the result is not the foregone conclusion that a lot of people are presuming...

[I have no real understanding on the college system, other than it attempts to 'weight' individual states influence in the count.]

Governor of Minnesota Tim Pawlenty will be the McCain choice.

Some say no Romney as the issue will be the total number of homes these two own which is a dozen in total according to a GOP Senator from Michigan, Romney's home state.

Pawlenty is conservative but is hardly flashy.

But this guy said it would be McCain Pawlenty and he said it in 2006.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Look For McCain/Pawlenty in 2008

Last edited by Football16; 29-08-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Not betting on a female VP?

This just in: It's Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska.

yup, what an astute move from McCain here.....

fm7
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Not betting on a female VP?
    One the first page of this thread I said,

"... I would really like to see McCain step up and nominate Sarah Palin."

I wasn't sure McCain had the courage to do it, but he has. Very interesting campaign ahead now.

Quote Originally Posted by fm7:
    One the first page of this thread I said,

"... I would really like to see McCain step up and nominate Sarah Palin."

I wasn't sure McCain had the courage to do it, but he has. Very interesting campaign ahead now.

And I said two posts back:

It is a hard one to call.

A woman on his ticket might help but I don't know the strong Republic women these days.

----------------

I don't know her and it is bold move on his part but let's face it, Alaska is as relevant to a Presidential election as Puerto Rico.

This might explain McCain's thinking:

"While McCain hopes Palin will help him sway moderate and independent women voters, she is also likely to win him fans among social conservatives. She is a staunch opponent of abortion and is a member of the National Rifle Association."

Good move, she has as much foreign policy experience as Obama and perhaps more economic experience having had to balance a state's finances.

His choice was given away a day ago when she was spotted in Dayton.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast