Like Tree7Likes

What version of democracy would we like for Hong Kong ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What version of democracy would we like for Hong Kong ?

I ask this question because I'd hate to see the same old crusty private school boys club that majority of democracies around the world seem to be stifled by.

If HK really wants a democratic government that truly represents them, then there should be a fair percentage of folks elected that are from ALL walks of life, not just bland lawyer/accountant/economics boffins that pander to the wealthy at the expense of the rest of the people.

The UK/USA/Australia for example, look after big business while the rest of us get the rough end of the stick..

In my opinion, if HK people do not pay attention, if the wrong style of democracy is adopted, in theory, it will actually make the lives of HK's wealthy elite MUCH easier ( than now ) to look after their self interests.

What checks and measures would you like to be installed into the democratic frame work, should HK ever be given the chance to have free elections of its city mayor ? ( CE sounds cheesy and corporately pretentious).

shri likes this.

Guess no one can awnser this huh

I think the District council is a fair representation of the local community. How about using them as an electoral college / legco of sorts?

Current legco is broken due to the nominated members.

East_coast likes this.

The inability to run up debt must be constitutionally binding.

At the moment the HK gov lives of the debt of mortgage payers but keeps it's own on-balance sheet pretty positive. There are legal requirements to balance the books but these should be strengthened to stop the piggy bank being raided for goodwill causes.

Countries that are resource asset rich such as Canada squander their reserved capital by wasting it on tax payers short term needs. Luckily Hong Kong has avoided this 'dutch disease' by insisting that that capital assets sold by the government (land) is only put back into other capital projects rather than frittered away on hard luck stories. Granted many of the white elephant projects in the last 17 years have been a gross dereliction of duty by the un-accountable officials but it is still a good principle.

I would like to see everyone have 2 votes

1 vote for a small geographic (un-gerrymandered) constituency returning 4 Legco members
    1 vote for a functional constituency based on your profession. Un-employed, retired and students could vote in the super seats.

Also, abandon exco. The appointed secretaries are Ok as a cabinet.

Problem solved?

East coast. Why do we need functional constituencies? Curious...

To stop common man getting power. Power must always remain with the Elite

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

So why would we want to keep in a 'democracy'?

I have found the functional constituencies rather flawed .... you need to belong to academic or professional bodies, which are not really representative of the community at large. Do all bank employees get to vote for the banking sector rep? Do all people involved in the I.T. industry get to vote for their rep?

How do you limit the number of functional constituencies? Is there one for Journalists? How about one for taxi drivers?

Skyhook likes this.

So why would we want to keep in a 'democracy'?

I have found the functional constituencies rather flawed .... you need to belong to academic or professional bodies, which are not really representative of the community at large. Do all bank employees get to vote for the banking sector rep? Do all people involved in the I.T. industry get to vote for their rep?

How do you limit the number of functional constituencies? Is there one for Journalists? How about one for taxi drivers?
    Many of the functional constituencies currently in Hong Kong are just plain rotten rather than merely flawed.

That does not mean they couldn't be more representative of the industries they represent.

IF every person in Hong Kong had a functional constituency vote based on their employment then each seat could be split into roughly aligned industries and somewhat similar sizes (some of the bigger industries might get 2 seats). As industry changes in Hong Kong so functional constituency boundaries could be re-drawn.

Historically constituencies have be allocated by a location of residence. In times gone by this was simple and easy to do. Now with modern technology there is no reason why a constituency might be drawn from a number of factors. Your profession (we spend a lot of effort trying to make society work at work) is possibly as good a way of slicing up the electorate as lines on a map BUT care must be taken to to create seats that are too safe. So legal professions should include the grunts on reception as well as the wigged ones.

Having functional representative members in Legco that actually represent the people (rather than the owners) who work in an industry would give an alternative prospective when laws are being discussed. Only having only geographic constituencies tends to creates a push for a dichotomy of views rather than a very mixed bag being acceptable.

If functional constituencies were forced to hold elections by ALL of the people who work in the industry they they represent alternate views and arguments would be developed. Also if functional constituencies were forced to hold proper elections and the boundaries between professions re-drawn regularly the current rubber stamping united front would be a thing of the past.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast