The Democratic Self Destruct Button

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Democratic Self Destruct Button

As Jon Stewart said on the Daily Show ... just wait, they have a self destruct button and never hesitate to press it. (Something like that anyways...)

So, what have the press been talking about for the last week?

Lipstick and pigs ...

and

Oh jeez .. may be Clinton was better.

And I don't even thing they've started moving close to the button...

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Does anyone have a copy of last Monday's Standard?
    I would have to have a picture of the frontpage
    "DISASTER HITS DEMOCRATS"
    Obviously dreamt up by a punch drunk hack no longer employed as a political forecaster.

We could wave this banner anytime the self destruct behaviour began to show

Last edited by KnowItAll; 11-09-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Lipstick on a pig is a pretty old statement used all over North America. Should Obama have used it? NO!!! Very dumb statement likely from some over zealous spin doctor who suggested mixing up some statements for a change.

I laughed the first time I heard that one but not thereafter as in mixed company it feels like a sexist comment which in some ways it is.

It'd be safer to have used a turkey analogy but then the Turks would be annoyed.

Well I guess it was one way for Obama to get people talking about him again. It must have been hell for someone like him to have to cede the limelight and media attention to Palin.

Absolutely asanine comment though.

It's not as stupid as it sounds, if you look at the whole Obama quote and the context (this is lifted from a New York Times story yesterday):

"John McCain says he's about change, too -- except for economic policy, health care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove-style politics," Mr. Obama told his supporters here. "That's just calling the same thing something different." With a laugh, he added: "You can put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change; it's still going to stink after eight years."

In the latest sign of the campaign's heightened intensity, Mr. McCain's surrogates responded within minutes and called on Mr. Obama to apologize to Gov. Sarah Palin for the lipstick remark. But to those in the audience, it was clear that Mr. Obama was employing an age-old phrase -- lipstick on a pig -- and referring to Mr. McCain's policies. He had not yet mentioned Ms. Palin at that point of his speech.

It's also worth noting that the lipstick on a pig image has also been used by McCain on the campaign trail.

Yes, it is common and yes its been used by everyone concerned .. however, lipstick became untouchable once McCain's chosen one used a reference in a speech.

Point being ... these are distractions that the Obama campaign should avoid.

I do enjoy this though.. everytime someone said something about Obama, he/she was labeled a racist. Now, everytime someone says something about Palin, he/she is labeled a sexist.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 11-09-2008 at 12:22 PM.

I don't believe it was an innocent comment for a minute. He could easily have used the old 'if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is a duck'. He knew what he was saying and he's a hypocrite. He's happy to play the race card but god forbid someone (McCain) play the sex card. He underestimated the intelligence of the American people who can clearly see through veiled digs and object to offensive and low blows.

Got to love Biden's gaffes.

And this is awesome -

I actually take my hat off to him for that one. Finally an honest word out of a politician's mouth. But it won't help the Dems win, that's for sure.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast