Like Tree34Likes

America's war on science

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Mutation. He forgot about mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Mutation. He forgot about mutation.
    Why would you be wasting time with articles that purport to show evolution as false? This only gives anti-evolutionists or "creationists" more publicity than they warrant. In fact, this is precisely what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Why would you be wasting time with articles that purport to show evolution as false? This only gives anti-evolutionists or "creationists" more publicity than they warrant. In fact, this is precisely what they want.

I don't think reading alternative views is a waste of time. For example I have now learned about fish breathing in sea and air.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't think reading alternative views is a waste of time. For example I have now learned about fish breathing in sea and air.
    Well, this is just my personal opinion, but I would have thought that would be common knowledge. Ever seen those mudskippers at the beach?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-02-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Well, this is just my personal opinion, but I would have thought that would be common knowledge. Ever seen those mudskippers at the beach?

Given the article on the fish was only a year old and a new discovery that just goes to show that common knowledge can be false.

Given the article on the fish was only a year old and a new discovery that just goes to show that common knowledge can be false.
    Well I don't know about you, but its been well-known for many many years that mudskippers can breath on land. So if you argue otherwise, I'm afraid that is only an indication of your lack of knowledge about some fish being able to breath air above water.

I mean, its one thing to say the general public is ignorant of certain scientific principles. But its another to say that ignorance makes certain scientific principles debatable or controversial. Yeah, most lay people wouldn't understand exactly the theory of relativity or even heard of it, that does not make the theory of relatively false or controversial in the scientific community. Likewise, just because lay people don't understand or lack knowledge in evolution does not make it false. It may make them think its controversial in their minds, but it doesn't make it controversial in the scientific community.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-02-2015 at 05:16 PM.

I don't think that is what hull is saying cho-man.
    As per my understanding he is saying that debating and questioning is a good way to learn things, just the way TS explained to him about fish breathing or complex eye.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I don't think that is what hull is saying cho-man.
    As per my understanding he is saying that debating and questioning is a good way to learn things, just the way TS explained to him about fish breathing or complex eye.
    Yeah, but he should be aware of the sources he is using. Those creationist articles have an agenda and is generally not regarded as credible sources. Its perfectly fine to question, but one must be careful about the less-than-honourable motives of the anti-evolutionists and creationists.

Firstly my understanding is that mudskippers are amphibious fish and are limited to intertidal areas and can't breathe air unless wet or at least moist.

Secondly I am well aware of the less than academic credibility of internet sources. CRITICAL reading is required and I am completely capable of that. I am not 'using' these sources to support any argument just for my own curiousity. For example I am also aware that some atheist sources have an agenda but will happily read them. Just about to launch myself into reading 50 or so masters assignments, perhaps I should refuse to read them or just fail them if I disagree with their conclusions?

Last edited by hullexile; 03-02-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    jgl likes this.

Some alternative views are entertaining, but if you are looking for scientific debate, they are a waste of time. E.g.:

Former Canadian minister Paul Hellyer claims 'Aliens already walk among us' | Daily Mail Online
    Cho-man likes this.