Like Tree108Likes

Nepal Quake

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How many HKers are missing in Nepal right now? The news were saying 7, now 9 people are still missing? I hope they can make contact soon with their families in HK.

Meanwhile, the footage from CNN showing the quake-induced avalanche at Everest, terrifying:
    Everest avalanche caught on camera hitting climbers - CNN Video

My thoughts and prayers too to those still stranded on the Everest base camp and everyone in Nepal.

Elegiaque likes this.

Fred Bowers has been on the phone to folks in HK and is now apparently down at base camp and looking to leave Everest region. Don't know about any others.

I know there is a crowd from HK due to leave for a trip to Nepal next week. I wonder if they should still go? I guess Nepal still needs to tourist revenue, but is it just too much strain on infrastructure in the near term?

Cho-man and Elegiaque like this.

deleted

The most shameful thing I have read today is that some, as yet unnamed airlines, have been raising the price of a ticket out of Kathmandu back to Hong Kong from Y2,500 to Y13,000.

In very undiplomatic, but realistic language, the senior military attache to the Chinese embassy was quoted " I want to smack them".

Source:SCMP front page.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    The most shameful thing I have read today is that some, as yet unnamed airlines, have been raising the price of a ticket out of Kathmandu back to Hong Kong from Y2,500 to Y13,000.
    Normal supply and demand. When the number of tickets available decreases, the price of those tickets go up.
    Airlines are generally do not operate as a charity.
    Source : Chinse New Year, Fair season etc etc
    In very undiplomatic, but realistic language, the senior military attache to the Chinese embassy was quoted " I want to smack them".
    The brave attache seems to talk the big talk but turns to a chickenshit when it comes to details.
    I wonder why he is not naming the airlines doing this.....

Spooky video making the rounds on social media.....

Elegiaque likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I am appalled by the death and destruction, but there is a little part of me that wonders whether Everest is a little bit taller...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Normal supply and demand. When the number of tickets available decreases, the price of those tickets go up.
    Airlines are generally do not operate as a charity.
    Source : Chinse New Year, Fair season etc etc

The brave attache seems to talk the big talk but turns to a chickenshit when it comes to details.
    I wonder why he is not naming the airlines doing this.....

Yadayadayada,.

Comparing CNY and Fair Seaon to such a disaster...no comment.

Yes they do not operate as a charity BUT I would believe they would actually make more $ by showing a human side (and decreasing prices etc etc) - a short term "loss" for a long term benefit in terms of image/brand recognition.

And don't bother replying unless you can prove me (not out of thin air) that indeed increasing the prices over a few days/weeks will make them more money than showing a helping hand and building a strong brand/image record.
    Cwbguy and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Yadayadayada,.
    Comparing CNY and Fair Season to such a disaster...no comment.
    Since you are writing, you are making a comment. Appending "no comment" is a dense as adding the obligatory
    Yes they do not operate as a charity BUT I would believe they would actually make more $ by showing a human side (and decreasing prices etc etc) - a short term "loss" for a long term benefit in terms of image/brand recognition.
    I cant *ever* recall any airline making any such gesture in the decades I've been alive. If it was going to make them more money or more goodwill, it would have been done already.
    And don't bother replying unless you can prove me...
    The only person that has to prove anything is the one making claims. I made no claims at all.

China Eastern flies to Kathmandu, I think its the only Chinese Airline that actually does fly to Nepal, trips back to HK will have a stop over in some China city. So I assume its them increasing the airticket price. Tsk Tsk Tsk if its true.

Airline in India -
    From Spicejet website
    Our flights to Kathmandu are operating as per normal schedule. We have set up an email ID [email protected] for accredited NGOs and relief organizations to contact us for free carriage of relief materials, doctors, rescue personnel to Kathmandu.