Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By Cho-man

WWII Aircraft Flyover - Arsenal of Democracy

Closed Thread

WWII Aircraft Flyover - Arsenal of Democracy

For all your plane geeks and history nerds....

The biggest collection of WWII aircraft will flyover the National Mall in DC.

Friday, May 8, 2015:
 The flyover is scheduled to begin. The first formation is estimated to be over the Lincoln Memorial
 at 12:10 p.m. (EST).

Featured plans will include some of the most amazing aircraft that have flown in battle, including the Curtis Warhawk (love the 'teeth') and the Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Flyover Formations | Arsenal of Democracy Flyover

I expect tons of videos to be available YouTube shortly after the event .. but I guess you have to be there to experience it.

Live webcast: Arsenal of Democracy: World War II Victory Capitol Flyover - DaCast

Last edited by shri; 08-05-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Skyhook, jmbf and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    For all your plane geeks and history nerds....

The biggest collection of WWII aircraft will flyover the National Mall in DC.

Friday, May 8, 2015:
 The flyover is scheduled to begin. The first formation is estimated to be over the Lincoln Memorial
 at 12:10 p.m. (EST).

Featured plans will include some of the most amazing aircraft that have flown in battle, including the Curtis Warhawk (love the 'teeth') and the Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Flyover Formations | Arsenal of Democracy Flyover

I expect tons of videos to be available YouTube shortly after the event .. but I guess you have to be there to experience it.

Live webcast: Arsenal of Democracy: World War II Victory Capitol Flyover - DaCast
    If there is one thing I missed from back home while living in HK is not seeing air shows. The closest air show in the region I can think of is in Singapore. Nor is there any sort of aviation-specific museum in HK. Yeah, there are some aviation-related model and displays at the airport's Terminal 2, next to the IMAX cinema. But that really is so small and insignificant, not to mention having no actual historic plane. Wouldn't you like to see a Spitfire or P-51 Mustang, Tempest or P-47 Thunderbolt? I bet you would. Back in Canada, there is a fantastic historic museum dedicated to these warbirds, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Hamilton. I've been there a few times and love it every time I was there:

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum - Canadian Aviation History | Wartime Vintage Aircraft

If only there was something similar here in HK...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-05-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    If there is one thing I missed from back home while living in HK is not seeing air shows. The closest air show in the region I can think of is in Singapore. Nor is there any sort of aviation-specific museum in HK. Yeah, there are some aviation-related model and displays at the airport's Terminal 2, next to the IMAX cinema. But that really is so small and insignificant, not to mention having no actual historic plane. Wouldn't you like to see a Spitfire or P-51 Mustang, Tempest or P-47 Thunderbolt? I bet you would. Back in Canada, there is a fantastic historic museum dedicated to these warbirds, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Hamilton. I've been there a few times and love it every time I was there:

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum - Canadian Aviation History | Wartime Vintage Aircraft

If only there was something similar here in HK...
    I hear ya, I miss air shows too ! I've attended every air show in Victoria ( PT Cook and Avalon ) since 1979, absolutely LOVE them, it's something you never grow out of.

I am not sure if I would be interested in attending one held in Hong Kong, I doubt you would have the public freedom around aircraft displays like you do in Australia, USA, France and Canada etc, or the viewing space to be able to see much, ( can you imagine the lines to board displays errr NO THANKS ! ) especially where children apply. The usual HK over crowding of any public event would just spoil the whole experience like everything else it does.

Nah....... if you want to really enjoy these sorts of things, do em in the west where it is MUCH better set up, while making it straight forward and easy for parents with kids. It's also fun talking to professional airmen/women of quite a few of the aircraft on display, which is pretty cool.

If you really like aircraft museums, one of the best outside the USA would have to be the one in Le Bourget, ( the old/original Paris airport ) which is KICK arse for aviation enthusiasts. I've been there a couple of times and loved it each time. It is also where they hold the Paris air show, which happens to be June this year. If you like Concorde, they have two there, the original prototype ( which is larger than the production models that were put into service ) and a commercial production model in the same MASSIVE hangar.
    Cho-man and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

I am not sure if I would be interested in attending one held in Hong Kong, I doubt you would have the public freedom around aircraft displays like you do in Australia, USA, France and Canada etc, or the viewing space to be able to see much, ( can you imagine the lines to board displays errr NO THANKS ! ) especially where children apply. The usual HK over crowding of any public event would just spoil the whole experience like everything else it does.

Nah....... if you want to really enjoy these sorts of things, do em in the west where it is MUCH better set up, while making it straight forward and easy for parents with kids. It's also fun talking to professional airmen/women of quite a few of the aircraft on display, which is pretty cool.
    Crowding is unavoidable to some extent I guess, but I do want to see air shows in HK, if nothing else, to help educate and inspire locals about the amazement of flight. Especially for those who don't have the time or money to travel all the way to North America or Europe. They do deserve a chance to experience the fascination of flight closer to home. I mean, taking an average commercial flight out of Chep Lap Kok does not capture all the wonder and spirit of flying.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.