Obama's new welfare state

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Obama's new welfare state

Obama's 95% Illusion - WSJ.com

So he's redistributing money from the rich to the poor targeting certain areas and taking low income families out of the tax bracket....where's the problem?

cough commie

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I think it's risky to promise any tax cuts/credits in the current climate. The quote by Dubya's pappy, "Read my lips: no new taxes", came back to haunt him when he had to raise taxes two years into his presidency. And George Sr didn't have to pay for two invasions and a bank bailout.

Quote Originally Posted by reinkarnation:
    cough commie
    Why do Americans (and sincere apologies if you're not one) think that anyone to the left of Genghis Khan is a commie? By that reckoning it was certainly the Russians who won the cold war as the whole of Europe is a communist state.
    Last edited by hullexile; 15-10-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Why do Americans (and sincere apologies if you're not one) think that anyone to the left of Genghis Khan is a commie? By that reckoning it was certainly the Russians who won the cold war as the whole of Europe is a communist state.
    That's not necessarily the case. However, when you make statements like "redistributing the wealth from rich to poor...what's the problem" then the commie comment is well deserved.

Certainly there are several kinds of "rich" Those who came into the money through family / inheritance, those who busted their ass to make it and some lucky bastards who happened to be in the right place at the right time. In any case, why exactly are they supposed to subsidize someone who chooses to sit on government welfare, or spend their check on booze/drugs? Life isn't fair.....get over it!

Well, maybe just France...

LOL, actually am from the country of the Great Khan. And I lived in two communist countries, so everything involving redistribution sounds suspicious to me.

You think France is bad? Try Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Netherlands! Tax revenue accounts for well over 40% of GDP in those countries. It only works because they are highly developed countries. Americans will never understand this, but as societies, those countries are far more evolved than America is at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    That's not necessarily the case. However, when you make statements like "redistributing the wealth from rich to poor...what's the problem" then the commie comment is well deserved.

Certainly there are several kinds of "rich" Those who came into the money through family / inheritance, those who busted their ass to make it and some lucky bastards who happened to be in the right place at the right time. In any case, why exactly are they supposed to subsidize someone who chooses to sit on government welfare, or spend their check on booze/drugs? Life isn't fair.....get over it!
    No, redistribution of wealth does not equal communism. We've been doing it quite happily in Europe for ages. As for the rest of your comments, not even worthy of a reply Climber. No life isn't fair, which is why I believe as humans, rather than animals, we should do what we can to minimise the unfairness. If that makes me a communist then I suggest you need to do some more reading.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast