Like Tree68Likes

when will donald trump grow a little moustache?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    In travel advice columns and especially after a terrorist attack they spew meaningless statistics that the chances of getting killed abroad in an "unsafe" city or by a terrorist is much less than getting murdered in any US city. So what about the people who are already living in these US cities? Should they move to Beirut? As one of those people who "doesn't fit in" (borrowed from the latest university protests) we just avoid and impose self segregation. I pity the cops who have to work in those neighbourhoods everyday and my deepest sympathies to the innocents who get caught in the crossfire. I have stared down a barrel of a 9mm and knows what it feels like.
    They seem quite meaningful statistics to me just the gun lobby fails to recognise that meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    And Donald Trump is...oh yeah, running in an election. He's not an armed white supremacist either and he is no more anti immigrant than Nigel Farage is. Which is to say, quite.

WTF? When did I say Trump was? You complained about getting UKIP leaflets through the door which is equivalent to getting Trump leaflets as you say. Hardly a condemnation of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Glass houses indeed. I just moved from the UK and we had UKIP flyers in our door every day.
    Aren't UKIP pro-immigration but only if they are educated etc. They want the UK to have a points system similar to Australia. Doesn't seem a very extreme position.

NIgel Farage Admits He is Pro Immigration. UKIP say they will Never Vote for a Moratorium on Mosque Construction

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Aren't UKIP pro-immigration but only if they are educated etc. They want the UK to have a points system similar to Australia. Doesn't seem a very extreme position.

NIgel Farage Admits He is Pro Immigration. UKIP say they will Never Vote for a Moratorium on Mosque Construction
    Given that article is from the BNP, a violent neo-nazi group, it does not have any credibility. But your basic point is correct - it is mostly that UKIP tend to attract racists and loonies (floods caused by gay marriage, etc).
    East_coast likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Really? I only watch Fox News and it says he was born in Africa, which is the capital of Iran, and not only that, he is one of them Koran-toting Christians.
    hullexile and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Yep, in the US (unlike Hong Kong) anyone is allowed to run for office. So you will get peope like Carson and Trump in primaries.

But again, wouldn't it make sense to judge to US by who they actually elect, rather than by a couple guys who run for election?

It must really bother people like you that Americans elected someone like Obama not once, but twice (elected by a large margin too). Electing someone like Obama twice doesn't fit your anti American, gun loving, bible toting bias's very well does it
    Really OC I am not totally anti-Americans, I was drinking with a couple of Texan friends a couple of nights ago.
    If you could sort out the gun issue but not before you have used your stack of assault rifles to eliminate:
    - conspiracy theorists
    - Fox News and all those who believe what they say
    - the extreme end of the evangelical Christians (though that might have been covered above)

Then I would love the place.

In the UK, quite a bit of effort and money has gone in to demonizing UKIP and Farage as they represent a threat to both left and right at the ballot box. At least immigration is on the table for debate now. Here's UKIP's policy on immigration for this year's election:
    Points system used to select migrants with skills and attributes needed to work in the country
    Immigration capped at 50,000 people a year for skilled workers
    Five-year ban on immigration for unskilled workers
    Five-year wait before migrants can claim benefits

I would suggest that all political parties have their fair share of loonies and racists.

One for the future in the US, this guy speaks a lot of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiWSFOxMRJs

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    In the UK, quite a bit of effort and money has gone in to demonizing UKIP and Farage as they represent a threat to both left and right at the ballot box. At least immigration is on the table for debate now. Here's UKIP's policy on immigration for this year's election:
    Points system used to select migrants with skills and attributes needed to work in the country
    Immigration capped at 50,000 people a year for skilled workers
    Five-year ban on immigration for unskilled workers
    Five-year wait before migrants can claim benefits

I would suggest that all political parties have their fair share of loonies and racists.

One for the future in the US, this guy speaks a lot of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiWSFOxMRJs
    What about foreign spouses of British citizens?

Yes every party has its share of racists and loonies but UKIP really does have more than its fair share.
    East_coast likes this.

When you travel, you should try following local customs, you'll find people treat you better.

In the US, you should carry a form of ID with you (that pretty much applies to all countries and travel).

Also, tip 15% in the US it is the norm

yes I suppose i should have done - incase I met a cop or other official as I passed thru police check points..

come on seriously is up to a waiter with an attitude to make sure of my legal requirement of carrying ID at all times? ( I was 35 at the time - and never experienced an ID check before in Life!!!!!!!)

as for tipping the norm- maybe they should be paid a decent wage.. they should also try being polite... becos it is a reWard.

and FYI I tip every where I go. as I waited tables/bars etc to put myself thru Uni.. *unless* someone is rude or just rubbish - or worse as I experienced in the states offensive and in my face .

anyway having an american telling me to observe local customes is way funnier than you think... so thanks for that..

I don't understand what you mean by ongoing shootings of black people in the USA by the police? While I might agree that the overall attitude and aggressiveness of police in the USA is a problem, there is no evidence that police behavior towards black people is any worse than towards whites. In fact, I would argue that overall, black people get more reasonable policing due to the fact the police in high crime areas (which are usually more accustomed to handling crisis situations) aren't as quick to pull the trigger. I've lived in a high crime, diverse areas of NYC and the police were far better than in other areas I lived.

what we read about weekly / daily seems contrary to that,,