Like Tree22Likes

There is worse than the US elections.......

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    One thing that always bugged me during OC was #blueribbons constantly pointing out what a basket case democracy is in the U.S.A...my comment would always be, "We know! We agree!", "But what about all the European countries that have robust democracies?", "Why not talk about those democracies?"...Further, why can't Hong Kong have the democracy she wants?
    That would be the beauty of it, Hong Kong could if it was allowed look at all the options for democratic systems and choose a good one.
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That would be the beauty of it, Hong Kong could if it was allowed look at all the options for democratic systems and choose a good one.
    And yet deep down we all know that the chances are a crap one would be chosen by committee.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    One thing that always bugged me during OC was #blueribbons constantly pointing out what a basket case democracy is in the U.S.A...my comment would always be, "We know! We agree!", "But what about all the European countries that have robust democracies?", "Why not talk about those democracies?"...Further, why can't Hong Kong have the democracy she wants?
    Democracy in the US works much better at the state and local levels.
    lbear40 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Democracy in the US works much better at the state and local levels.
    I liked the caucus idea. Potential for bottom up democracy.

I liked the caucus idea. Potential for bottom up democracy.
    I find caucus's kind of silly, especially when people go to corners of the room and votes get publicized.

I think voting needs to be done privately.
    Stu79, Skierx and lbear40 like this.

Try the Philippines.
    But the U.S. is the most advanced democracy in the world. It's supposed to be held at a higher standard. The Philippines is still a developing nation. Not a fair comparison. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Nothing better than a bunch of Hong Kong residents, on a Hong Kong forum, poking fun of actual democratic elections. Has Beijing started the process of approving who Hong Kong can vote for in 2017?
    Definitely slower than when the British monarch appointed the HK Governor. No need for silly things like votes back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bunko8:
    But the U.S. is the most advanced democracy in the world. It's supposed to be held at a higher standard. The Philippines is still a developing nation. Not a fair comparison. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
    The trouble is the country is developing but the politics are not and that holds back the country. To be fair there have been a couple of advances such as the reproductive health act which provides free contraception to the poorest and the provision of money to the poorest to keep their kids in school. With an effective government so much more could be achieved. There is an anti-dynasty bill proposed which would stop the political families from having more than one member of the family in position at any time, but guess who has to pass that bill?

So less than three weeks to go to the Philippine elections and the polls have Duterte out in front. So who is this man who could be the President of your southerly neighbour?

He has been compared to Trump in that he is anti-establishment and opens his gob without his brain in gear too often. His comments on women are particularly disturbing. He also has some crazy policies such as building up the Philippine steel industry (because as we all know there is a shortage of steel globally at the moment).

His main focus is the eradication of corruption and crime. His credibility on the former is strong. He has been Mayor of a large city for 20 years but unlike other politicians has not built up significant wealth (he is the least rich of the 6 candidates). He is not part of the elite who run the country milking it for every peso they can get. He has promised to jail the corrupt and if they won't stop then he will lock the doors to the government and rule without them.

On crime he has reduced crime levels in his city (but not eradicated crime as he claims). However this has been done by extra-judicial killings by the police and Davao Death Squad.

He has the support of the New Peoples Army, and so by extension the exiled Communist Party, who have been fighting a justified and not unpopular armed struggle against the elite for 70 years. He in return supports the NPA and some think he is probably a member. He has told businesses to pay the NPA 'tax' and candidates to pay the NPA 'candidate fee'.

However amongst the ABC economic group and businesses he also has a lead in the polls. So a left winger who has the support of many of the wealthier citizens.

He is more pro-China and less pro-USA than the other candidates and on the South China Sea he wants to negotiate and work with China.

Could be interesting times. He could also be assassinated of course in which case the leader in the Vice Presidential race is Marcos, God help us!

In Manila right now and reading the press coverage of his comments about the Australian woman raped and killed in 1989. I can't quite figure out what happened, since the "comment" is always published in the local language. But he does appear to be a thug - albeit one ostensibly on the right side of the law. I reckon he would make a great film star (or rather his story would). A President - perhaps not.