Free Speech in Germany?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Erdogan has a small penis.... .
    His reaction proved that to be true...
    Tea addict and Open Casket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Perhaps your right. It might have crude, stupid, not funny and insulting....but doesn't he have a right to say it?

I'm just asking, I'm not aware of this German law.
    He probably does. I'm assuming German free speech law is similar to the US's? During the Academy Awards, didn't one presenter basically made a similar insult, but on an entire race (Asians having small genitals)?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Perhaps it's a state secret.
    Sounds like Putin's penis. That one's a state secret too.

Quote Originally Posted by bunko8:
    He probably does. I'm assuming German free speech law is similar to the US's? During the Academy Awards, didn't one presenter basically made a similar insult, but on an entire race (Asians having small genitals)?
    I wouldn't doubt it, but I don't recall that. Can you provide link? Even if they did, it's comedy, who cares (apart from the PC asshats)

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I wouldn't doubt it, but I don't recall that. Can you provide link? Even if they did, it's comedy, who cares (apart from the PC asshats)
    Your comedy might not be my comedy. I recall a lot of fuss about a French comedian who was going to perform in HK.

There is no global standard for what differentiates comedy from just insults that only a certain group find funny. And that is where the problem begins.... Yo mama jokes may be funny to some, may not be funny to others.. the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Your comedy might not be my comedy. I recall a lot of fuss about a French comedian who was going to perform in HK.

There is no global standard for what differentiates comedy from just insults that only a certain group find funny. And that is where the problem begins.... Yo mama jokes may be funny to some, may not be funny to others.. the list goes on.
    You are exactly right and that is why freedom of speech must be protected. If you try to ban or censor "insults" that is a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

And that is why free speech is either everything or nothing. As soon as you introduce a bar that can be shifted, groups WILL shift the bar to support their political agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    And that is why free speech is either everything or nothing. As soon as you introduce a bar that can be shifted, groups WILL shift the bar to support their political agenda.
    That is the American view, most of Europe understands the concept of responsible free speech.
    TheBrit likes this.

So, it is ok to insult, berate and verbally abuse someone? Many might say that is free speech they're all verbal arts...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That is the American view, most of Europe understands the concept of responsible free speech.
    Can you give some examples of speech that would be allowed in the US but not in Europe?