Like Tree39Likes

Cruz - See you in 2020!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cruz - See you in 2020!

So, the Republican nominee .... is .... The Donald. Barring any last minute shenanigans I guess.

Feel bad for Carly though.. nah...

Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race - POLITICO

Last edited by shri; 04-05-2016 at 08:47 AM.
    Open Casket likes this.

Geoexpat...the quickest news in the internet.
    Have not heard that anywhere else.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    Geoexpat...the quickest news in the internet.
    Have not heard that anywhere else.
    Just wait till I unleash my news crawler / bots / forum thingy.
    Nep likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Everyone complains about the 'system', but I can't seem to find a fault there. The preferential choice of voters in either party has won. And that for entirely straightforward reasons - it was stupid of the republican party to believe that their blue collar supporters relying on social security and medicare actually wanted to see these entitlements cut, and it was stupid of Bernie Sanders to think that he can win a party's nomination focussing on topics that matter mostly to young white people if that party, by and large, is carried by not-so-white people (though he did come impressively close).

Not saying I like the results - but that's how democracy supposed to work.
    shri and Lord Dashwood like this.

And Bernie has won Indiana.

Open Casket likes this.

NYT journos on Trump.

hullexile likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Sorry, but by your own standards this is an incredibly simple minded comment. Democracy's purpose is not to pick "good choices to execute the Office of the President of the United States". It's function is to allow the people to choose their leader. If its function was in any way directly related to the outcome, the furthest I would go is saying that it's function is to get rid of very _bad_ leaders.

Blaming the quality of elected leaders on the political system is like blaming pan & stove for the dish being too salty.
    Lord Dashwood, Ern and Open Casket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Sorry, but by your own standards this is an incredibly simple minded comment. Democracy's purpose is not to pick "good choices to execute the Office of the President of the United States". It's function is to allow the people to choose their leader. If its function was in any way directly related to the outcome, the furthest I would go is saying that it's function is to get rid of very _bad_ leaders.

Blaming the quality of elected leaders on the political system is like blaming pan & stove for the dish being too salty.
    Liberals and conservatives hate democracy....they have that in common...

Original Post Deleted
    I actually found it impressive how utterly ineffective the Super PACs were. If money and lobbyists had decided the election, it would have been a Bush/Rubio ticket. And while indeed Hillary got a lot more big donor money than Bernie, she did not actually outspend him.

Popularity can be a deceiving measure (especially when calculated by proxy of net favourability ratings). Part of the reason that Trump and Hillary are reported to be wildly unpopular is because their opponents hate them deeply, and uniformly. But both have solid support, and loads of people willing to contribute efforts. And to quote the west wing - decisions are made by those who show up.

Were I american, I'd deeply dislike the outcome - Hillary is very yesterday, and the Donald is both ruth- and clueless. But I think it is a delusion to think that this does not represent the wish of the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    NYT journos on Trump.

Oy vey! Sorry to say boychiks, but you've been Schlonged™ (Henceforth TrumpMarked).
    shri and Lord Dashwood like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast