Like Tree459Likes

Duterte

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks for explaining a bit hull. I can't believe how strongly some Filipino women I know support him, when the first thing I ever heard about him was the news headline that he joked about how he should have raped a woman (who was then murdered) first. I've been really baffled, and can only imagine the politics and politicians in the Philippines must be really, really unfathomably low if women support a man like that.... Can you explain a bit about the other candidate or why you support who you do?
    Rodrigo Duterte: Philippines presidential candidate jokes about rape and murder of Australian missionary - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

(Just reading wiki a bit -- seems Grace Poe has a black belt in taekwondo, so she can kick Duterte in the balls if he tries any of his womanizing tricks on her... oh wait, it's all just words, right...)
    Thanks.

Roxas - The establishment candidate. His grandfather was a previous president. Very rich. Lots of experience in Government but given this includes reaponsibilty for the disaster of Manila airport, the disaster of Manila traffic, the disaster of Manila public transport and the poor and slow response to typhoon Yolanda this does not really work in his favour. Does have all the establishment money and machinery. Would be a safe pair of hands but continued inaction likely.

Poe - I liked her. Clean it seems but has created doubts by being supported by some dodgy characters such as Estrada, a corrupt former president who was kicked out. He is her godfather. She is also friendly with the Marcos family. Her biggest problem with the voters is that she renounced her citizenship to become American then later retook Filipino citizenship. Doesn't worry me but strikes people as showing a lack of loyalty to the country. You also have the issue then of the bad history between the two 'allies' and her being accused of being an American stooge.

Binay - former VP. Corrupt as shit. Enough said.

Santiago - very intelligent, clean, very popular with students. Unfortunately she has cancer and comes across as very ill and weak. A few years ago she would have made a great president. Also she for some strange reason chose Marcos as her VP candidate.
    Elegiaque likes this.

BBC and pretty much everyone else are betting on Duerte to win:

Philippines election: Polls open with outspoken mayor tipped to win - BBC News

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Santiago - very intelligent, clean, very popular with students. Unfortunately she has cancer and comes across as very ill and weak. A few years ago she would have made a great president. Also she for some strange reason chose Marcos as her VP candidate.
    Don't know enough about the Phils to know why she chose him, but it's obvious why he chose her.

When things don't make sense, sometimes it helps to turn the problem around and look at it the other way.

Original Post Deleted
    Reminds me of this joke:

Q: What do you call a bus load of lawyers plunging over a cliff and into the sea?
    A: A good start.

Original Post Deleted
    Quite so. However, this being the PI, it's just a matter of degree. I believe that they already top the league tables for whacking investigative journalists.

Quis custodiet and all the related disclaimers apply.

I'd settle for the worst 20% becoming landfill. Pareto is a blunt tool, but he gets the job done to the satisfaction of most.

Oh dear, I'm becoming a Benthamite... slippery slope!

John Oliver did a piece on him:

I will contribute here to correct BS.

Duterte is NOT homophobic. To say you are not gay in the Philippines is not homophobic. Sex and sexuality is openly discussed and joked about here, it generally has no negative connotations. Duterte is heavily criticised by the conservative elements in the church for being a strong advocate of LGBT rights. LGBT group representatives are part of his advisory panel. He attends the annual LGBT conference/party. Really there is so much bollocks out there.

P.S. The accusations about Duterte's hidden wealth have been withdrawn.

shri and Kinch like this.

Yes, by Philippine standards a landslide majority.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes, by Philippine standards a landslide majority.
    I heard on the news last night that he was over 500K votes ahead of his nearest rival. what a Landslide victory.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast