Like Tree459Likes

Duterte

Closed Thread
Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 ... LastLast
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    t. This he is a tyrant, dictator, etc - this appears to be the standard western line.
    Where did you see that? which newspaper/media?

I was only replying to HK_Katherine who was saying you can't be a tyrant because you have been elected. Hell, my wife can be tyrannical at times, I never voted for her!
    huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Tyrants are people who rule without being voted into power.
    Well, Hitler was also democratically elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Where did you see that? which newspaper/media?

I was only replying to HK_Katherine who was saying you can't be a tyrant because you have been elected. Hell, my wife can be tyrannical at times, I never voted for her!
    I see it all time, though to be honest more in the comments than in the article itself.

I know I come across as a deluded, obsessional twat but I get angry with all the false information.

Yesterday "many expats are frightened and are thinking of leaving". I know about 50 expats I guess and all support Duterte. It is much safer now than it was before. I used to think it was just sensationalist journalism but now I am pretty sure much of it is deliberate.
    civil_servant likes this.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I see it all time, though to be honest more in the comments than in the article itself.

I know I come across as a deluded, obsessional twat but I get angry with all the false information.

Yesterday "many expats are frightened and are thinking of leaving". I know about 50 expats I guess and all support Duterte. It is much safer now than it was before. I used to think it was just sensationalist journalism but now I am pretty sure much of it is deliberate.
    Perhaps you could quote the articles in question, it would help. AS for the comments well that's different...could be the same bunch of angry people posting on multiple article...that's hardly western news...

I am not saying you are wrong, I just would like to see more sources as you seem to be very tired of western medias but here in HK when I read about Duterte...some articles are "pro", some "against' and some fairly neutral. I don't get the same impression as you, hence y query.
    jaykay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Perhaps you could quote the articles in question, it would help. AS for the comments well that's different...could be the same bunch of angry people posting on multiple article...that's hardly western news...

I am not saying you are wrong, I just would like to see more sources as you seem to be very tired of western medias but here in HK when I read about Duterte...some articles are "pro", some "against' and some fairly neutral. I don't get the same impression as you, hence y query.
    Ok will do. I wouldn't include HK as western press. Obviously given the language I am really referring to British, American and Australian. Though strangely a lot of it is actually written in Bangkok! There is something weird about a bunch of journalists choosing to live in a military run state writing about the terrible human rights and end of democracy in another country. Their stuff gets syndicated worldwide.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Hull, can I push a bit of a button... Filipinos are very eager to stand behind Duterte, my impression being they want to clean up the country because they want to develop and have a better quality of life.

Is that right?

If so, another approach to that would be to campaign for birth control and smaller families.

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Hull, can I push a bit of a button... Filipinos are very eager to stand behind Duterte, my impression being they want to clean up the country because they want to develop and have a better quality of life.

Is that right?

If so, another approach to that would be to campaign for birth control and smaller families.

Why not?
    Saw this before. Duterte on family planning: 3 kids are enough

Duterte on family planning: 3 kids are enough | ABS-CBN News
    Elegiaque likes this.

Is that right?

Why not?
    Wage reform and birth control.

Imagine if the minimum wage was more attractive than working overseas as a domestic helper ? How much better life would be, for the average Filipino !

I wonder if all of these big international companies who have pledged to invest in the Philippines, would still be interested, if, they had to pay ethical wages, as opposed to sweat shop labour rates they presently pay?

If one is making money off the backs off the low paid poor, then, you're part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    If one is making money off the backs off the low paid poor, then, you're part of the problem.
    Yup, and the loan sharks are the worst of those.

Anyone who claims that extra-judicial killing of the poor is acceptable in a developing nation is guilty of racism through lowered expectations. If you don't support it in America or Europe, but do in the Philippines, you are a hypocrite as well.

Is that right?

Why not?
    Yes which is why that is part of the 10 point economic plan - it is that high on his list of priorities.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 ... LastLast