Like Tree459Likes

Duterte

Closed Thread
Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    PMSL.
    You can get help for that you know, I'm sure you have good health cover over there. Or try Tena.

*snip* same old

Again I ask the question, if there are these death squads roaming across the country with bodies piling up in the streets why are there no more killings now than in previous years? Facts that were presented again yesterday directly to the foreign media but not reported. Using the current definition of extra-judicial killings there were more under Aquino than under Duterte. Please explain.
    Who records official crime statistics in The Philippines?

Even you can't be that naive surely.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    You can get help for that you know, I'm sure you have good health cover over there. Or try Tena.

You apparently believe everything you read in a UK newspaper rather than a guy on the ground.

You can't be that naive surely?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You apparently believe everything you read in a UK newspaper rather than a guy on the ground.

You can't be that naive surely?
    Where have I quoted a UK newspaper or claimed to believe UK newspaper?

How's business for you since The Philippines government started sanctioning / shooting the poor?

Even funnier. Which figure do you not believe? The official figures on the number of recent killings (the unofficial figures produced by an anti-Duterte TV station are actually lower, 1900ish) or the number of killings reported b the previous administration?

Original Post Deleted
    But you don't challenge the facts.

Have the UN or Amnesty been here? Have either of them asked the government any questions? Not as far as I am aware. The UN will have NGOs on the ground for sure, like RINJ who published a warning that a form of martial law had been declared and police had been given unlimited powers which would lead to more rapes. Do you believe that was true as well?

If you believe journalists then that is up to you.

Even funnier. Which figure do you not believe? The official figures on the number of recent killings (the unofficial figures produced by an anti-Duterte TV station are actually lower, 1900ish) or the number of killings reported b the previous administration?
    Which proves the point of unreliable crimes statistics gathering. People are guessing and pulling the statistics out of their arse, a known problem with The Philippines is the inconsistent and missing data, lacking national oversight. You simply can't get accurate figures from the past unless you look to the NGOs and the UN's best guesses, and certainly won't now.

Next.
    Skyhook likes this.

Which proves the point of unreliable crimes statistics gathering. People are guessing and pulling the statistics out of their arse, a known problem with The Philippines is the inconsistent and missing data, lacking national oversight. You simply can't get accurate figures from the past unless you look to the NGOs and the UN's best guesses, and certainly won't now.

Next.
    While that might be true to change my point then the official figures from last year would have to be skewed too high and the figures from this year skewed too low. You would think that both would be skewed the same way surely.

Have the UN or Amnesty been here? Have either of them asked the government any questions? Not as far as I am aware.
    I will ask Amnesty tomorrow

I bump into them in the coffee shop pretty often and know they have been actively collecting information on the ground about abuses of power in the Philippines for years. I see no reason why that would of stopped. They are a very well funded organisation and although they roll up to their office later than most they still are reasonably credible for a Pan-National NGO.

their latest report on the current major abuses below

https://www.amnesty.org/download/Doc...016ENGLISH.pdf
    Last edited by East_coast; 04-10-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    kimwy66 and Durry like this.

Here is a video from tonight of Duterte speaking to the Jewish community (quality is crap at the beginning but gets better). His wife is Jewish btw. Spend thirty minutes getting to know the man. Up to you of course.

Be interesting to see how, and even if, this is reported.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZbUm7tmrk

Here is a video from tonight of Duterte speaking to the Jewish community (quality is crap at the beginning but gets better). His wife is Jewish btw. Spend thirty minutes getting to know the man. Up to you of course.

Be interesting to see how, and even if, this is reported.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZbUm7tmrk
    WIll try to watch all later but he seems very at ease with the concept of extra-judicial killing as a way to solve drug issues which will in turn solve societies issues.

The use of drugs are surely an effect and a cause of the problems in society. People turn to drugs for various reasons. Easy access to drugs is obviously a contributory factor. Blaming society's evils on drugs is just a kop out but one that the great unwashed can get behind and cheer him along.

It is much harder to sort out the ills of society rather than building up and then killing a few 'baddies'. It still all feels very wrong but granted very populist (and popular). Mariah Carey was the most popular singer of the 90's but it doesn't make it right.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 ... LastLast