Like Tree8Likes

Keep buckled when you fly...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keep buckled when you fly...

I always do, for my safety. And you should too, also for my safety.

30 people injured during turbulences, some are serious.

More than 30 injured as turbulence hits Etihad Airways flight to Indonesia | World news | The Guardian

Fiona in HKG likes this.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't keep it fastened. I always do. I've seen sudden turbulence before and you get no warning.

Absolutely, best to stay buckled up. A few more details on this incident here:

Accident: Etihad A332 near Jakarta on May 4th 2016, turbulence injures 32

I had my fair share of turbulences over the years but this one sounds pretty bad

One thing I always wondered though : I often have the belt rather losely around my waist (and my kids waists) for that matter, especially on long haul flights. If a serious turbulence hits, how much does a lose belt help Vs a belt that is very tight around the waist? Is one at least fundamentally protected since you won't hit the roof, or would a lose belt give enough leeway for it to hurt badly when the plane drops?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    how much does a lose belt help Vs a belt that is very tight around the waist?
    It makes no difference. Wearing a belt means you don't get airborne and fly around the cabin. Lose or tight doesn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    It makes no difference. Wearing a belt means you don't get airborne and fly around the cabin. Lose or tight doesn't make a difference.
    I think you might get belt injuries if loose though. I keep mine as tight as is comfortable. . And tighten for takeoff and landing.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Ppl who dont keep their belts on loosely are fools, no sympathy for getting hurt.

Sympathy for the air stewardess if they got hurt as they walk around and highest risk of getting injured in such bad turbulences.

Natfixit and Skyhook like this.

I do, but many people do not. I have seen passengers argue over buckling up ( Arabs and Italians) with the flight attendants. Unfortunately, I had just gone into the loo just before turbulence between Copenhagen and Helsinki. Man, I held on like my life depended on it! Thrice half airborne while taking a whiss, and my scalp nearly scraped the roof. Wasn't injured but it gave me a thrill that all of the rollercoasters I had been on in my younger days never did!

I also experienced severe turbulence while still in my seat and unfortunately gave certain neighbouring passengers the go ahead for projectile sick bag...

Wasn't there a certain Far side Comic strip about this by Gary Larsen ?

Gary Larsen explains the theory behind turbulence...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast