Like Tree68Likes

New Mayor of London

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    Nothing, if anyone does there will be the usual accusations of racism from Guardian reader types and attempts to hound people out of their jobs.
    You are correct no prosecutions yet which is disgusting. You are wrong on the Guardian, that paper has been strongly against fgm and pushed for prosecutions. But then your prejudice is better than reality.

Has the new Mayor of London had his daughters mutilated? I very much doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You are correct no prosecutions yet which is disgusting. You are wrong on the Guardian, that paper has been strongly against fgm and pushed for prosecutions. But then your prejudice is better than reality.

Has the new Mayor of London had his daughters mutilated? I very much doubt it.
    You are well capable of doing your own research, anyway I referred to 'Guardian reader types'. I've never accused the new Mayor of London of anything and was quite pleased over his election.
    East_coast likes this.

[QUOTE=hullexile;3425627]Going back to the topic. During the campaign, and on here, Khan was stated as being "a friend of terrorists".

This was based on two pieces of evidence. This is from the Telegraph, known in the UK as the Torygraph because it is a right wing supporter of the Tories.
    This is really a flawed argument in my opinion and the left always says anything in the conservative press is lies just as the right always says anything in the liberal press is lies...facts are facts, whoever prints them.
    Firstly he shared a stage 9 times with someone who the Tories accused of being a supporter if IS. Unfortunately it turned out this IS terrorist was a Tory supporter who had meetings with the Prime Minister.
    Irrelevant...or if it's not, please explain how it's relevant? Cameron would sell his own grandmother, so what?

Secondly he defended terrorists. As he says as a defence lawyer you have to defend "unsavoury characters". A lawyer who defends rapists is not accused of being "a friend of rapists" or of supporting rape. So why the difference? That is a rhetorical question, the answer is obvious.
    Err, no. If a defence lawyer who'd built a career defending rapists wanted to become a minister I'm very sure people would not accept it...especially if he'd used tactics like victim blaming or bullying witnesses.

For you, the fact that he is a Muslim means that any criticism of him must be because he is Muslim... It's not...and this is what I mean when I say it's becoming impossible to criticise Muslims.

This was a disgusting attempt to smear someone just because they are muslim. It has been widely attacked by others in the Tory party and even by Goldsmith's own daughter.
    I absolutely disagree...I remain unconvinced by a pack of Tories sudden indignation and Goldsmith's sister...you mean sister right? Who the left wing press are calling Jemima Goldsmith but who is actually Jemima Khan...lol...Here's her 'scathing criticism' in full:

Sad that Zac's campaign did not reflect who I know him to be- an eco friendly, independent- minded politician with integrity.
    From Goldsmith himself:

Zac Goldsmith Denies Racist Campaign Claim
    Speaking at the launch of his manifesto, Mr Goldsmith said: "I have never said that he has got extremist views.
    "But there have been questions raised, by me, by a very wide range of people, about his having given platform, and oxygen, and cover on many, many, many occasions to people who do have extremist views, and then, when questioned about those views, dismissing them in the language which I think is not appropriate. It is an issue of judgement."
    However, he then went on to take a swipe at Mr Khan, insisting he would champion police "heroes" instead of "coaching people in how to sue our police".
    And he cautioned that voters should not let Labour "lefties" back into City Hall and said the Khan-Corbyn project would damage the capital.
    Frankly speaking, I support him...but it isn't a surprise that Khan won in London...London is a very diverse place and full of progressive lefties...sorry, I know you hate the term hull. but it's true...
    Skyhook, Kinch and Open Casket like this.

Not reopening .... but I think the NYT article is a good last word on this issue.

I'll take this over some of the vitriol seen from some of the members on here, both in the forum posts and the "reports" that we get.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/op...ald-trump.html

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9