Like Tree43Likes

Worst Cities in the World?

Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,698


    Why Government shouldn't be allowed to build housing projects

    Worst town in Asia - Tim SHui Wai

    It didn't have to be this bad in an affluent city. Such a awful housing estate would NEVER of been built on Hong Kong Island. Out of sight out of mind.
    Last edited by East_coast; 29-05-2016 at 07:15 AM.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    20,210
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast


    Why Government shouldn't be allowed to build housing projects

    Worst town in Asia - Tim SHui Wai

    It didn't have to be this bad in an affluent city. Such a awful housing estate would NEVER of been built on Hong Kong Island. Out of sight out of mind.
    "Little boxes.....all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same"
    East_coast likes this.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast


    Why Government shouldn't be allowed to build housing projects

    Worst town in Asia - Tim SHui Wai

    It didn't have to be this bad in an affluent city. Such a awful housing estate would NEVER of been built on Hong Kong Island. Out of sight out of mind.
    Tin Shui Wai is a success to the tens of thousands of them living there. There will always be something to criticize if you just look for it.
    bunko8 likes this.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    Tin Shui Wai is a success to the tens of thousands of them living there. There will always be something to criticize if you just look for it.
    40% of the population are new immigrants in a town with the population of Iceland.

    73% of TSW residents say they have to go outside the area for for cultural activities due to a lack of facilities / choice in the area.

    62% of TSW residents say living in the area is more expensive than other areas of Hong Kong

    0.8% of TSW residents are employers.

    The skewed population profile and lack of organic opportunities makes TSW worse than it needs to be. That it is better than a cage or a hut in rural Guangdong does not make it good.

    http://etheses.lib.cuhk.edu.hk/pdf/004782976.pdf
    Last edited by East_coast; 29-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    40% of the population are new immigrants in a town with the population of Iceland.
    73% of TSW residents say they have to go outside the area for for cultural activities due to a lack of facilities / choice in the area.
    They have the 2nd largest library in Hong Kong, indoor swimming pool, all sorts of sports activities there. That report is outdated.
    62% of TSW residents say living in the area is more expensive than other areas of Hong Kong
    Other areas like Yuen Long/Tuen Mun or all other areas like the Island?
    0.8% of TSW residents are employers.
    Considering they're qualified for government housing, that just shows it's difficult for the next generation to be self-made.
    The skewed population profile and lack of organic opportunities makes TSW worse than it needs to be. That it is better than a cage or a hut in rural Guangdong does not make it good.
    Opportunity comes from the parent's background in most cases I've seen. Most of them (40yrs old in the 90's when they moved in) aren't even high school educated. Where do they get the money to start a business if their parents are qualified to live in public houses? It's not like if the same families are spread throughout Hong Kong that somehow they would have the money to begin something. They'd be worst off without Tin Shui Wai cause they had to pay high rent or live in villages without good environment for the kids to study.
    Last edited by Creative83; 29-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    bunko8 likes this.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    They have the 2nd largest library in Hong Kong, indoor swimming pool, all sorts of sports activities there. That report is outdated.

    Other areas like Yuen Long/Tuen Mun or all other areas like the Island?

    Considering they're qualified for government housing, that just shows it's difficult for the next generation to be self-made.

    Opportunity comes from the parent's background in most cases I've seen. Most of them (40yrs old in the 90's when they moved in) aren't even high school educated. Where do they get the money to start a business if their parents are qualified to live in public houses? It's not like if the same families are spread throughout Hong Kong that somehow they would have the money to begin something. They'd be worst off without Tin Shui Wai cause they had to pay high rent or live in villages without good environment for the kids to study.
    You may be correct the addition of a Library and swimming pool have made Tin Shui Wai a much more livable place. Others may of felt vibrant streetscapes with mixed ownership city centre with retail, offices, commercial and residential offering a real much wider choice would of been better at making the city more self sustaining and enjoayble.
    Last edited by East_coast; 29-05-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    hullexile likes this.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    You may be correct the addition of a Library and swimming pool have made Tin Shui Wai a much more livable place. Others may of felt vibrant streetscapes with mixed ownership city centre with retail, offices, commercial and residential offering a real much wider choice would of been better at making the city more self sustaining and enjoayble.
    Well if Tin Shui Wai is not self sustaining. Then Tin Shui Wai is not perfection.

    Go criticize LOHAS PARK or something.

    Frankly, I envy those who lives in Tin Shui Wai. I already said it long ago they live like Kings.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    20,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    Well if Tin Shui Wai is not self sustaining. Then Tin Shui Wai is not perfection.

    Go criticize LOHAS PARK or something.

    Frankly, I envy those who lives in Tin Shui Wai. I already said it long ago they live like Kings.
    I take it you have not seen many palaces?

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    I take it you have not seen many palaces?
    I have no interest in stalkers.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    Frankly, I envy those who lives in Tin Shui Wai. I already said it long ago they live like Kings.
    You are very odd.

Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast