13 19.40%
  • Non-UK: Stay

14 20.90%
Like Tree335Likes

British 'Leave EU' Poll + Opinions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

British 'Leave EU' Poll + Opinions

Attempting to restart the Brexit discussion with this article...

Britain would face at least seven years of limbo during painful negotiations about a new relationship with the bloc, Mr. Tusk said.

Preparing for a British vote to withdraw, France and Germany are debating the immediate announcement of a joint initiative on European security, perhaps an operational command headquarters, to show, at least symbolically, that the European Union remains solid and will continue to progress without Britain.

But Germany has rejected some ideas from the European Commission, the permanent bureaucracy in Brussels, to respond by moving quickly toward more European political or fiscal integration, understanding that with Spanish elections this month and French and German elections next year, “more Europe” is not what voters want.

And no government wants treaty change, which would prompt more referendums at a time when populist, anti-Brussels sentiments are running strong across the Continent.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/wo...nion.html?_r=0

On FB today they had a list of who supports Remain and who supports Leave.

On the Remain side all the major and minor party leaders in the UK except on the Leave side UKIP, British National Party, English Defence League (the last two being far right parties).

On the Remain side nearly all world leaders, on the Leave side Putin and Trump (has he supported Brexit?)

It goes on with economists, environmentalists, etc.

On the Leave side of course you have Rupert Murdoch who may well lead the UK to the ability to decide its own fate (as long as they support the American-Australian)

Polls are still 50:50. Friday morning could be interesting viewing.

I'm dreading it Friday morning, I hope the country sees sense and votes to stay but I don't really trust it will be that straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    On FB today they had a list of who supports Remain and who supports Leave.

On the Remain side all the major and minor party leaders in the UK except on the Leave side UKIP, British National Party, English Defence League (the last two being far right parties).

On the Remain side nearly all world leaders, on the Leave side Putin and Trump (has he supported Brexit?).
    I saw this petition over the weekend :
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/123450

The referendum is not binding & the commons majority can easily put a stop to this.
    I wasnt paying attention before. How & Why did this referendum even get off the ground? Were the politicians split at the beginning ?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    The referendum is not binding & the commons majority can easily put a stop to this.
    I wasnt paying attention before. How & Why did this referendum even get off the ground? Were the politicians split at the beginning ?
    The not so short answer is that there is a rabid anti-EU wing of the Tory party which has existed for decades and won't rest until Britain pulls out of Europe. David Cameron has spectacularly failed to keep control of the parliamentary party and this group got noisier in the six months up to the 2015 general election. Many of them were scared that UKIP would eat into their share of voters that usually vote Tory because they hate foreigners.

Cameron, in an effort to placate his own party and to appear tough on common sense pandered to the xenophobic vote by promising to clamp down on immigration earlier in the parliament and made a manifesto pledge for an in/out EU referendum if the Tories won an overall majority.

The polls at the time were showing a very close result with a hung parliament almost a certainty. Cameron probably thought it was a good soundbite but not something he'd have to deliver on. Then Labour shit the bed in a big way in Scotland and we got an overall Tory majority.

Cameron was now bound to hold this referendum and was hoist by his own petard because his government had failed to reduce immigration as they had promised (it increased fairly substantially.) However rather than try and defend the benefits of immigration or multi-culturalism the government blamed the EU for the increase and basically said "nuffink we can do, guv, out of our hands."

So now he had to fight to stay in the EU when he was on record months earlier blaming the EU for his government not cutting immigration. Which has really set the nasty tone that Farage and his team of like-minded Brexiteers have wholeheartedly embraced.

tl/dr - David Cameron is a tit who brought this whole mess on himself and the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    The not so short answer is ....
    Thank you very much for that comprehensive answer. Nice to know the background. Lets get the popcorn ready for the fireworks coming soon.

The whole thing has turned into an absolute shitstorm which is going to have implications, In or Out, for years to come.I think Stu has summed things up pretty well, but I'd add/clarify a couple of things:

In the end, it's mostly been a Tory-vs-Tory fight. The Lib Dems are a spent force, after their failed coalition in the last Parliament, and Labour have been virtually invisible in a haze of antisemitism and political infighting. It's clear that while there are rabid anti-Europeans around, a lot of the Tory posturing has been career-building, partly because Labour look so weak that anyone who can take over the Conservative Party now is likely to be in power for a good while.

On the other hand, you've got the weirdness that while the Remain camp is somewhat united and disciplined, there are a number of different groups campaigning for Leave, some of whom are more wacky than others. For example, I'm fairly certain that the Brexit flotilla wasn't a part of any official campaign...

hullexile likes this.

I think, hope, that the murder of Jo Cox has focussed some "leavers" mindson who is supporting Leave and their message. Clearly there will be many who strongly agree with that message but given the closeness of the vote it will only take the margins to move. I do feel sorry for those decent people who support Brexit and the campaign has been hijacked by the extreme.

I was reading that an ex Tory chairman, Lady Warsi, has switched sides saying she could no longer support Leave because she looks at the people supporting Leave and does not want them running the country.

Every tory leader post Thatcher has had an issue with trying to deal with the anti EU wing of the party.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast