• 1 Post By rickyross
  • 2 Post By civil_servant
  • 2 Post By hullexile
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By 100LL

Austria may destroy Hitler's birthplace

Closed Thread

Austria may destroy Hitler's birthplace

An interior ministry spokesman said the Government had agreed on a law to take ownership after the building's landlord, a local woman, had refused to sell it to the state. The bill will now go before Parliament.

"The decision is necessary because the Republic would like to prevent this house from becoming a 'cult site' for neo-Nazis in any way, which it has been repeatedly in the past, when people gathered there to shout slogans," Interior Minister Wolfgang Sobotka said before the cabinet meeting.
    "It is my vision to tear down the house."

Austria's interior ministry has been renting the property from the retired local woman who owns it since 1972 and has sublet to Braunau.A commission consisting of 12 members from the fields of politics, administration, academia and civic society will ultimately decide the fate of the building.
    The ministry pays around 4,800 euros ($6,966) a month in rent.
    I understand why they're doing it, but perhaps it would be better to turn the building into an Holocaust museum of sorts. decrying the actions of the Nazis.

Adolf Hitler's birthplace may be seized by Austria and torn down to prevent neo-Nazi pilgrimage - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    shri likes this.

I agree with the suggestion. Turn it into something a bit more positive. Unfortunately that might bring more nazi types out and increase vandalism.

Should not be torn down.

rickyross likes this.

Neo-nazi pilgrims should be able to visit. Charge a high fee and give the money to groups that have suffered under the Holocaust. Then provide those individuals with intense images/experiences of what took place during WWII. After that, distribute anti-hate pamphlets and provide phone numbers for counselling services to escape neo-Nazi groups/ideology.

hullexile and rickyross like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Neo-nazi pilgrims should be able to visit. Charge a high fee and give the money to groups that have suffered under the Holocaust. Then provide those individuals with intense images/experiences of what took place during WWII. After that, distribute anti-hate pamphlets and provide phone numbers for counselling services to escape neo-Nazi groups/ideology.
    With the jobs at the house given to refugees
    civil_servant and rickyross like this.

It doesn't seem that this is an "important topic" in Austria (I am here on vacation at the moment).

As far as I understand it, only one minister (who is not in charge) suggested to destroy it and his spokesperson had to come on record pointing out it was his private opinion not that of the ministry/minister (and along many other people suggesting many other things, including building a supermarket in its place, making a museum out of it, etc).

In the real world the government appointed a group of people a while ago to make some realistic and sensible suggestions without creating problems (they haven't shown anything yet as far as I can tell - the rest seems to be noise).

Last edited by 100LL; 17-07-2016 at 11:47 PM.
    shri likes this.

The headline here on Geo is totally misleading, don't waste your time here