Like Tree35Likes

Philippines - total smoking in public ban nationwide

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Philippines - total smoking in public ban nationwide

Due any day. Includes bars and cars, streets - anywhere in public. Was in his campaign promises. Not sure on the penalties yet.

Would / should they do this in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Due any day. Includes bars and cars, streets - anywhere in public. Was in his campaign promises. Not sure on the penalties yet.

I'd support it. I was in Salt Lake City years ago and they had a ban on smoking with x metres of a doorway...can't remember the exact number...but it was great...and I was a smoker then!

To add...the police were being very proactive about enforcement of this too..

Smokers don't realise how much it stinks even if they are near you on the street...but, I really hate it when they smoke in or around doorways or in the outdoor areas at restaurants...

Not sure a blanket ban is necessary but maybe a rule of thumb on smoking near other people or something...
    Natfixit and angeluscomplex like this.

Good. My dad is one person who suffered from passive smoking inside his work building/ office. Now has had bladder cancer, remission then chemo again in 2003, and again it comes back. He did smoke (clandestinely and tried to fool my mum who watched her granddad die from emphysema. Has to have tumours layered off his bladder each month. Also the other side effects which are not so great. Apart from there fact that it stinks...Good, bring on the ban. I want to inhale my food not your smoke. Oh, and your teeth look black. Just saying....

joanfung, Gatts, Ofnpanad and 1 others like this.

In Hong Kong they don't enforce the current ban and have drafted the law in such a way that the manager of the establishment does not care if people smoke or not. The law is nearly 10 years old and getting less and less followed with no new initiatives in the pipeline. Omnishambles by the executive branch in HK.

Banning it nationwide seems a bold step and may be difficult to enforce if the law is badly written and would almost certainly be difficult to continue if there is a regime change. A more sensible approach would be progressive bans in certain areas coupled with gradual tax rises and aggressive education programmes. This would give a lasting change to society.
    Char Siu King and timonoj like this.

The worst thing for me is seeing kids smoking...I just can't get my head around people still taking it up...and that's the thing, it is anti-social and we need to find a way to make it awkward and uncomfortable to continue or, in fact, start.

Natfixit, Ofnpanad, Gatts and 1 others like this.

They need to make the manufacture and sale of cigarettes illegal. Just like other harmful drugs. Completely remove any social acceptance. It's a disgusting industry.

They should ban in HK, especially here streets are so narrow people are blocking the street while walking turtle speed and smoking, you get all the smoke in the face it's so annoying. Do it like in Tokyo, and have shame area where they can practice they cancer hobbie on their own.

pong li, angeluscomplex and Gatts like this.

Wonder how much more money the bar owners will have to pay to the police to turn a blind eye in Angeles LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    They should ban in HK, especially here streets are so narrow people are blocking the street while walking turtle speed and smoking, you get all the smoke in the face it's so annoying. Do it like in Tokyo, and have shame area where they can practice they cancer hobbie on their own.
    Let's go one step further and legislate that anyone who wishes to smoke in public can only do so inside their own smoke hood (space helmet style). Let them ingest their own cancerous venom.
    Gatts likes this.

Interesting... independent from foreign countries and from within.

Another not-corruptible person. Good sign for what's to come.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast