Like Tree63Likes

Rebranding the Euro Far Right

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Then why quote other articles, unless you expect others to read them?
    I quote & post articles that support the viewpoint I've given. Reading would be nice but not necessary if you believe in the summary I've provided.
    But wait, they don't need to read stuff you post and open their minds to understand where liberals come from either? Right?
    The rape in sweden has been blown out of proportion. You can either believe my words (or civil's words) or you can read the article which supports my assertion - it will not really change your mind if your mind is closed already.

I will read your article when I have time but it is certainly not necessary to counter the narrative that was being pushed by the martian hater in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Yes, I read it. There are many far-right groups all across Europe. Le Pen and Freedom Party are the most famous I guess. They're all quite different though.
    I wouldn't have preci'ed it like that at all. Basically the article was not that there are many far right groups, there have always been those, but that they have been positioning themselves to take up a bunch of liberal and social causes in the name of "immigration prevents all the progressive stuff we have achieved / can afford to pay on social security programmes". and tone down all the pure racism and homophobia.

The homophobia might actually be decreasing; imho the racism has just been rebranded and is as strong as ever.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I will read your article when I have time but it is certainly not necessary to counter the narrative that was being pushed by the martian hater in the group.
    (Random martian provoked shit follows...)
    The article is more about why we we have to learn to live with martian haters. Because once they become the majority - for good, infact very good reasons provided in the article, their view becomes the 'centrist' view.

Multi-generational change is required - Martian haters will soon become martian-maters and we'll all in the words of George Carlin become one gray blob.

I said "required". Not likely to happen. The martians will come, they'll displace the aboriginal population and wipe them out with small pox or some shit like that.

Not a bad time to learn how to say salaam in martian, become one with them and live long and prosper eh?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Yes, I did. Whole thing. It was very interesting but rather depressing for the future of Europe!
    Don't become depressed. What everyone forgets is that we have institutions in place with checks and balances, so overtaking a country by a single party is nowadays quite hard to do. They need majorities for many years in order to slowly overtake those institutions. The thing is, these parties have never governed. They engage in critique but have few solutions. The reality is that their ideas are based on nonsense so it won't take long before they hit major hurdles or hiccups that will embarrass them. Let me give you a few examples.

The anti-establishment party Five Star Movement recently won elections in Rome. They completely failed in running the city, so people are shifting back to the main-stream party.

Italy’s 5Stars hit potholes on road to referendum – POLITICO

Another case, a big one, is Viktor Orban and his Fidesz party. He's probably the strongest anti-establishment movements in all of Europe. He's had +66% majorities, so he's been able to counter the press, affect the courts, and even changed the constitution to his liking. Nonetheless, cracks in his party are starting to show. In order to rule he's been brandishing propaganda towards the establishment, but it's gotten to the point where in order to rule, he just has to push his propaganda further and further. People are starting to catch on, and support for him is shrinking. His referendum was a flop, just one of many flops to come.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I wouldn't have preci'ed it like that at all. Basically the article was not that there are many far right groups, there have always been those, but that they have been positioning themselves to take up a bunch of liberal and social causes in the name of "immigration prevents all the progressive stuff we have achieved / can afford to pay on social security programmes". and tone down all the pure racism and homophobia.

The homophobia might actually be decreasing; imho the racism has just been rebranded and is as strong as ever.
    Well, if they rebranded themselves, then it just means that moderates are joining, which overall makes these parties less dangerous. They might decide to eject Le Pen at the end of the day. Who knows. As I said, politics is not static.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxoplasmosis:
    Adolf Hitler was a human.

The Malmo and Cologne Rapists are humans.

Your point is precisely what?
    Godwin's Law by the 6th post, impressive.

civil_servant likes this.

Ahhh, the good old New York Times. I hear you get a free self-flagellation whip with new subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Ahhh, the good old New York Times. I hear you get a free self-flagellation whip with new subscriptions.
    I couldn't find that deal, do you have a link for that?

Diversity + Proximity = War

For all the name-calling and sophistry, this simply cannot be changed. It's baked into the human genome.

Any healthy society can handle a limited degree of immigration / leavening. No society can absorb large numbers of people who look and act different and expect to remain stable and peaceful. Doesn't matter what we would WISH to be true. Like I said, it's baked in. Human nature is what it is. Attempting to deny it just ends in blood every time. We on the supposedly evil right are trying to avoid bloodshed caused by fanatical ideologues who go against human nature.

Nobody is saying that the likes of Shri should be banned from their country. But I would expect that any nation should reserve the right to decide who gets to live there and to be very selective about intake.

Since nobody reads articles, I'm sure there is therefore no harm in posting these too:

https://newint.org/blog/majority/201...ndia-migrants/

Here’s how we can counter xenophobia against African immigrants in India

FWIW I have to ask myself the question: Precisely WTF does India need African Immigrants for? Extending and expanding upon that analogy is left as an exercise for the reader.

A curious reader could also amuse him or herself by Googling up the sainted Gandhi's views on the Bantu he encountered in South Africa. Quite hilarious: he was quite down on them and only interested in ensuring that the local Indian community got positioned on a higher rung in the local hierarchy. Not particularly relevant to the discussion at hand, but always worth throwing out stuff that people may not be aware of. The real world is often a lot messier than ideologues would have it.

Instead of taking cheap shots about 'white insecurity' from behind a magically impermeable force field which dare not speak its name, pray consider that all this Sturm & Drang exists because what is in play and being debated are elemental natural forces. This is dangerous stuff and calling people names and attempting to shout them down solves nothing.

Children playing with matches in a fuel dump... but oh boy are they too smart and smug to know it.

Last edited by Toxoplasmosis; 02-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.
    DirtyHairy and Skyhook like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast