Like Tree16Likes

Richest council tenant gets major upgrade

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Repairs on any historical property are expensive - remember reading an article about why first time home buyers should not by historical / old property, the cost and the laws / regulations for refurbing anything even remotely old are enormous. Add to that a historical property, art, furnishings - need to be restored, not repaired.
    Same reason why one can buy a giant castle in France for 1 million Euros. The cost of renovations is prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    No? Weird idea of you to tear it down. I think the amount for repairs sound ridiculous. That's all.
    352 million sounds cheap to me. It is a massive ancient building. Big buildings come with big problems which have a corresponding big price tag.

The queen is technically paying for this herself, as instead of holding 15% of the crown estates revenue back for running costs, for 10 years she is going to keep 25%. All sounds fair and logical to me

This whole thing is a storm in a teacup whipped up by the media using selected facts.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Same reason why one can buy a giant castle in France for 1 million Euros. The cost of renovations is prohibitive.
    The cost is prohibitive in France because the French system is a complete ripoff, and French artisans are a pain in the arse on top of being a ripoff. We use British tradesmen for big jobs on our place now, so the Queen is lucky there will be a load of unemployed builders around on her doorstep after Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    If ignorance is bliss, you must be very happy.
    Still seems the revenues from the land and holdings could go to public use.

The cost is prohibitive in France because the French system is a complete ripoff, and French artisans are a pain in the arse on top of being a ripoff. We use British tradesmen for big jobs on our place now, so the Queen is lucky there will be a load of unemployed builders around on her doorstep after Brexit.
    But a desperate shortage of Polish plumbers

One of the problems I read was that there are no ensuites so when the King or President of wherever stay they have to nip down the corridor to the shared bog.
    drumbrake and Elegiaque like this.

352 million sounds cheap to me. It is a massive ancient building. Big buildings come with big problems which have a corresponding big price tag.

The queen is technically paying for this herself, as instead of holding 15% of the crown estates revenue back for running costs, for 10 years she is going to keep 25%. All sounds fair and logical to me

This whole thing is a storm in a teacup whipped up by the media using selected facts.
    Not that ancient. Can't see why she doesn't move into one of her other properties. That place could be renovated and used to house refugees. Win Win solution.

Well I was saying that 4billion is a ridiculous number, not 352. And, yeah Im on a same page that queen can afford the refurbishments.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Not that ancient.
    The oldest bits are over 300 years old, the newest bits over 100. If not ancient, certainly not modern.

If you don't care that much anyway, why make such an ill-informed snipe just to hear or see yourself in print ?

Original Post Deleted
    That means, as Queen, ER II has never had the decorators in.

Proof, if any were needed, of how special she is.
    HK_Katherine, emx and hullexile like this.