Like Tree18Likes

No more black targets?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@shri most crime is between gangs and criminals, or of a domestic nature. Even in the worst neighborhoods there are very few cases of an outside person coming in and being killed. Maybe robbed or pickpocketed but if I recall in London the borough with the highest theft rates is Westminster. Yes be aware of surroundings but the idea that any white person in a black neighborhood is going to be attacked is false. Black people living in the black neighborhood are the main victims.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    What do you mean "it's not clear why that is" come on.

If it was genetic you'd be scared in HK 100% of the time as you're surrounded by people of a different race here as well.
    That was the point. I'm not scared here in HK - but HK people are not black. The point (in the first post) was about the colour of targets reinforcing an inbuilt "fear" of blackness (the colour, not the people) which in turn instills a fear of blackness in people. By changing some of the factors that (might) contribute to this fear in gun owners they hope to change a perception. Given that the majority of people don't go shooting at a range but may still have a fear of blackness (my point) it may not work, but surely is worth a try? There are many other reasons to fear blackness - it's linked to darkness, inability to see, helplessness.... so more than racism or just learned prejudice. But unlearning that fear is not necessarily as easy as just saying "everyone is equal". You can know that, you can act on that, but one's internal hard-wiring is harder to change.
    civil_servant and shri like this.

Yes, subconscious racism is very real. No one can claim to be free of it, but being aware of it and acknowledging it is a very healthy attitude.

juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    That was the point. I'm not scared here in HK - but HK people are not black. The point (in the first post) was about the colour of targets reinforcing an inbuilt "fear" of blackness (the colour, not the people) which in turn instills a fear of blackness in people. By changing some of the factors that (might) contribute to this fear in gun owners they hope to change a perception. Given that the majority of people don't go shooting at a range but may still have a fear of blackness (my point) it may not work, but surely is worth a try? There are many other reasons to fear blackness - it's linked to darkness, inability to see, helplessness.... so more than racism or just learned prejudice. But unlearning that fear is not necessarily as easy as just saying "everyone is equal". You can know that, you can act on that, but one's internal hard-wiring is harder to change.
    Last time I checked, people of African ethnicity are not black. They are a range of tan and brown colors. They don't resemble the darkness of night.

Also interesting that the color white is associated with death in Chinese culture.

My point being - it's not genetic to be afraid of dark skinned people.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Whatever lah .. if I was aware of a map like the one linked to below, I'd be environmentally aware, driven by statistics without giving a flying fuck about the race of the people who are unfortunate to call that their home or work area.

Fact remains - there are dodgy neighbourhoods (black, white, asian all over..) many of them are ethnic neighbourhoods, many are not. If you're in a dodgy area, I don't think you care about what the ethnicity is.

Most dangerous neighbourhood identified by crime map - Telegraph
    HK_Katherine merely mentioned the fact that she was in a black neighbourhood upon which she experienced her feelings. It wasn't based on her reading up on the stats and entering a dangerous district.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    HK_Katherine merely mentioned the fact that she was in a black neighbourhood upon which she experienced her feelings. It wasn't based on her reading up on the stats and entering a dangerous district.
    This was also my understanding. She said she's been in more dangerous non-black areas but still felt most scared in a black area regardless.

I know she mentions going to Manila frequently which isn't particularly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Take DH example of aboriginals in the park. Behaviours driven by statistics a century of racist policies that encourage segregation? It's time to man up and overcome these barriers.
    I absolutely agree that it's racism. But I stand by my advice about the park in Australia scenario. There are degrees and there is common sense.

Great wrongs were done to the Aboriginal people and can explain some of their behaviours. There is a lot of work to do. Yes. In the meantime, please take my advice...or not, it's up to you.

What about this scenario:

You live in an apartment block and each floor has 4 apartments...1 apartment becomes vacant and, whoo, you're happy because for the past two years you've had Mahjong clattering, flip flop mountain in the hall, rubbish bags in the hall, Cantopop, incense burning and family gatherings where the guests make noise in the hall and fill it with their shoes, prams and whatever, all the while eyeing you with suspicion...

You bump into the landlord one morning and he can't decide who to choose from three shortlisted applicants.

1.) Mr. O'Shea
    2.) Mr. & Mrs. Taylor
    3.) Mr. & Mrs. Cheung

He says, "You choose!".......who would you choose? All other things being equal, I'd take Mr. & Mrs. Taylor blind...I could be wrong but I guess they won't be coming with the undesirable behaviour I mentioned previously....Mr. O'Shea () say no more...

So broadly speaking, I agree, I'm not trying to say that it isn't a form of racism, but it doesn't take a lot to come up with many scenarios where decisions based on race, when there is no other information, are common sense...

As shri wisely pointed out, those decisions may be based on bad statistics...but that's another argument.

Perhaps you would make a point of picking Mr. O'Shea or Mr. Mrs. Cheung as a kind of affirmative action...or maybe you'd draw straws...I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    It's annoying...I was teaching a group of kids how to play chess a few months ago and felt myself stumble when I said, "white always goes first..."....it's got to stop!
    What? You still have one of those old, outdated, racist chess boards around? WTF!

Name:  2892798380_2a677c619b[1].jpg
Views: 66
Size:  40.8 KB
    DirtyHairy and shri like this.

Learning German will help the chess dilemma.

Weiss beginnt, schwarz gewinnt.

White begins, black wins.